BEST COST EFFICIENT WAY TO HEAT STORED WATER ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Keep getting asked this by tenants and have no real answer so wondering what you guys think OR KNOW ??

Ok gas heating stored water, normal family use

whats the most cost efficient way

1. H/W ON CONSTANT stat set to 55-60

2.H/W ON AT SET TIMES OR BOOSTED AS REQ

3.H/W ON CONSTANT + IMMERSER ON

4. H/W ON AT SET TIMES IMMERSER ON

when I moved into my new house my megaflow had the immerser on and heating constant, instantly turned off immerser and set to 2 x 2hrs cycles in the day...

Sponsored Links
immersion off.

hot water on 2 cycles - 1 for am use 1 for pm use.

check how long it takes to reheat the hot water...all differ depending on cylinders....saying that the cylinder stat will be satisfied and turn the boiler off anyway.

gas is cheaper than leccy

JPC said:
immersion off.

hot water on 2 cycles - 1 for am use 1 for pm use.

check how long it takes to reheat the hot water...all differ depending on cylinders....saying that the cylinder stat will be satisfied and turn the boiler off anyway.

gas is cheaper than leccy

Never advise the immersor myself but always get asked if keeping a constant heat is more efficient than heating from cold... could never really answer but always advise the am/pm cycles !!

Your tenants :evil: or Social Housing tenants you provide a service for :) I love Multiple Property Owning Thatcherites :evil: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
All the time the water is hot, it will be slowly losing heat. The better it is insulated the slower this loss will be. The hotter it is the faster the loss will be. Constant heat is more expensive than timed heat because the water (or house) is hotter for longer so loses more heat, which you keep topping up. this is very wasteful if you are out of the house.

If you are asleep in bed all night there is no point in heating it until you approach the time for your morning bath or shower. If you are out at work all day (or in the betting shop and pub) no point in heating it until near coming-home time.

Electricity is much more expensive than gas.

If you have a cheap economy rate for night-time electricity, it is still more expensive than gas, but if you don't have gas and do have economy night electricity, it is best to heat at night and take advantage of the cheap rate.

A thick insulation round the cylinder and pipes saves a lot.

mmalone said:
Never advise the immersor myself but always get asked if keeping a constant heat is more efficient than heating from cold... could never really answer but always advise the am/pm cycles !!

Efficiency is not the issue, effectiveness or cost is usually implied by this.
Heating the water only when needed is the cheapest way, but not the most convenient. Keeping the DHW stat low is cheaper but more of the hot is used in proportion to the cold (i.e when showering) so the tank may run out of hot water before the family is ready; subject to the recommended minimum of 60C to kill off legionella. Again convenience costs more.

Set the timer to finish heating up the water just before the first use, this will be the cheapest way but the tenant must learn not to expect hot water at all times of the day and night.

Why not spend just a little cash on insulating both the cylinders and the hot water pipes as much as possible. It will cost little but give the tenants great benefit.

meldrew's_mate said:
mmalone said:

Efficiency is not the issue, effectiveness or cost is usually implied by this.
Heating the water only when needed is the cheapest way, but not the most convenient. Keeping the DHW stat low is cheaper but more of the hot is used in proportion to the cold (i.e when showering) so the tank may run out of hot water before the family is ready; subject to the recommended minimum of 60C to kill off legionella. Again convenience costs more.

Set the timer to finish heating up the water just before the first use, this will be the cheapest way but the tenant must learn not to expect hot water at all times of the day and night.

Why not spend just a little cash on insulating both the cylinders and the hot water pipes as much as possible. It will cost little but give the tenants great benefit.

guys I do work for a local housing, not my tenants !!

just looking for the cost efficient answer which does appear to be 2 x cycles etc !!!

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back