Best practice for wiring thermal store?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new thermal store heating system needs power for (1) 16A immersion, (2) heating circuit pump timer, (3) solar circuit pump controller. This suggests three radials running back to the consumer unit... or does it? I'll definately get someone to look at this for me, but it would be useful to know what to expect. I need to replace the current scheme, which goes heaven only knows where...

From a safety point of view, I was wondering if a single feed from the consumer unit with some sort of easily identifiable distribution board in the cylinder cupboard might be a better bet - making it easier to see what is being isolated if future work is needed...

Sponsored Links
the pumps are pretty minimal load.

is the immersion really 16A, most are only 3KW (roughly 13A).

assuming the immersion is only 3KW i'd say 3 FCUs on a 20A circuit would be a reasonable approach, some people belive that nothing else should be on the same circuit as an immersion though (i belive an earlier version of the regs explicitly said this and the OSG still does).

having said that most normal central heating systems have the backup immersion (used to get hot water when the boiler fails) fed from a totally different place from the main heating system and it doesn't seem to confuse everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back