Best screws for 22mm chipboard flooring on 2” joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d used a standard woodscreew last time but fancy something better this time.

There are a few different types so I’m wondering if any are better for stopping creaking. Also how far apart should I space them?

Thanks
D18023A4-3CCD-47D2-B1F9-25F1F3BAF2FA.png

A64EF078-AF7C-4A92-A70C-8FBF2053C280.png

C5FA9312-F374-47BE-B954-FF539013C92C.png

Sponsored Links
Use the last ones (Spax). I've had to cut, lift and replace lots of flooring (cable works), they make it dead easy and can be driven reasonably close to the board edges if necessary. These hold the boards nice and tight. I've had some rooms done over a year now and they're still as quiet today.

You might get away with every 4-6 inch along every joist. Do a section and see what you think. Add more if there's still movement or a specific creak. You won't sort every last noise out though without removing and relaying with the correct glue on the joists and tongues.

It's the glue which does most of the work stopping creaking. In floors where the joists are marginal it can be necessary to solid strut the floor as well. Last couple of floors I've done were screwed with Duraspin collated flooring screws on 150mm centres (100mm is a bit OTT IMHO). Those screws are nothing special TBH, other than having a small reverse threaded section just below the head and being square drive (and you don't need the square drive)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO - any wood screw provided it has a smooth shank at least as long as the thickness of the floorboarding. 2 per board (plank) into every joist spaced approximately 1/4 of the width of the plank in from each edge. If you are using sheet flooring the space screws at 4 to 6 inch spacing into every joist.
If you expect to take the flooring up do not glue!

Fully threaded screws will eventually cause 'squeaks' because it is difficult to prevent 'Ramp Up' hence leaving a small gap between board and joist.

Sponsored Links
I used the Spax ones, 5 spaced across a 600mm board and it seems no move and tight. I didn’t glue them because it might end up being a bathroom soon.

I have another room, a bedroom, I used a standard wood screw and that creaks like crazy. I’ll order some of the Duraspin ones for in there, they are cheaper than the spax but look to have the similar double thread design.

Fully threaded, prevents movement unlike the smooth tip of a partially threaded screw( might as well use nails)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back