Best Table Saw

ena

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using an Elu flip saw as my table saw,and would like to upgrade to a new table saw. I am considering a Dewalt 744,bosch 10" table saw or electra beckam, all cost between 400 and 600 pounds. All the specs on these machines seem similar and I would like feedback from anyone who has one of these saws. None of the write ups mention if a dado blade can be fitted, which is something i would like. Any one know or can advise me on a better saw (dado capabiities prefered)

Sponsored Links
None of these saws will take a dado for two reasons. 1. the arbour is too short & 2. they are fitted with a blade brake to meet EC regs, the momentum of the dado will damage the brake.

Then there is also the safety issue as unless you have an SUVA guard then the saw will have to be used without guard or riving knife

Are you using it as a site saw or just in a workshop :?: if the latter then the only saw that can take a dado is the xcalibar or the odd imported Unisaw both more than your price range.

Jason

Thanks jasonb for your reply. I use the old flip saw in my small work shop,your reply means that I will have to do without dado blade capabilities. I would still like advice on the best saw for my workshop. Iam an amature woodworker,making tables, furniture and the likes and need a saw that is accurate,reliable and not to noisy. I am being advised that the dewalt 744 is not as good as reports say,perhaps you can advise me further.

Take a look at the Kity 419, they've been off the market for a while since the original company went bust but are back again. You have the option of a sliding table. I don't think you can get many with a dado cutter capability - the only that comes to mind is the scheppach 4000 but at way above your (and my) budget.

Can I suggest that you look at the woodworking forum on www.ukworkshop.co.uk as there is plenty of discussion about saws there - and some very nice people.

Sponsored Links
You can only use dado blades if the machine is made to take them.
All new table saws sold in EU have to have a short arbor and blade braking so can not take dado blades.
You could buy a unisaw from America at enormous cost (same table saw as Mr Abrams)
Otherwise the only saw dado blades can be fitted to is a radial arm saw.
Even then the dado blades available can be up to 22mm wide whereas the safety regulations state that maximum width is 15.5mm.

Thanks DEWEY for info on dado blades, perhaps I am watching to much much Yankee workshop. I did look at the KITY table saw and think I would like something a bit more solid, hence the request for advice on table saws. Scheppach TS2010 seems ok,any one got one that can give me first hand advice, still heard nothing about the dewalt 744. Both these saws seem to be right but I really dont want to spend £600 to £700 without being sure. Any further advice on above saws or others that I have not yet considered would be appreciated.

I believe the Scheppach TS2010 has only recently been introduced to fill the gap left when all the other Scheppach saws were upgraded to cast iron tables.
Prior to its introduction I would have put the Scheppach TS2000, Kity 419 and Electra Beckum PK200 in the same bracket.
They are all excellant and accurate saws.
My preference is for the Kity 419 because of its induction motor which will run quieter with less maintenance from changing the brushes on the others.
All 3 should be bought as a kit with sliding carriage and table extensions or you will be cursing yourself if you have to buy them later as accessories and pay more to do so.

Hi Dewy. I looked at the saws you named, the pk200 is about £750.I am having trouble finding out about the Kity 419. the TS 2010 ,With sliding carriage and extensions is £650. I believe this machine also has the induction motor, as per the rutlands catalogue. I think this might be the one I buy but would appreciate any info on sites that detail the kity 419. I searched kity and can only find 1 site that does not give much detail.

Kity were in receivership for a long time and were forced to stop trading.
They were eventually taken over by Sheppach who wanted the name to make inroads into the French market.
The French prefer to buy french goods so this was a way for a German company to expand into France.
They are imported here by NMA agencies who import the Sheppach machines.
The distribution is not as wide as was originally intended yet.
Many of the previous sellers have not included Kity in their catalogues so far i.e. MachineMart among others.
Some of the web based sellers have been selling Kity machines for a number of months although their final product list is as yet unknown.
I'll try to find the website I have seen the 419 on this evening.
I know I have the link somewhere. lol
I was about to buy a Kity 419 when I had a major accident 18 months ago.
I saw them disappear and was going to change to the Electra Beckum when I found out that Kity were being imported again.
As soon as I get on my feet again, financially, The 419 complete set is first on my shopping list to replace the old table saw that has served me well for a number of years.

Hi ena
As promised a few URLs for the Kity 419 complete saw kit.
Kity's own page recently revamped since the receivership last year.
Kity UK at £789.60
PowerToolDirect was the only place I could find a Kity a few months ago.
PowerToolDirect at £698.99
MTS PowerTools at £648
D B Keighley at £616.88
Or contact NMA Agencies at [email protected] or phone: 01484 400488 who may be able to tell you who stocks them locally to you.
This short list only took a few minutes to find so things are looking up.
As you can see Kity sell their own saw at a higher price than anyone else.
I think the cheapest from D B Keighley is the previous price as they have not changed their website for a couple of years.
MTS appear to be the cheapest but always check on delivery costs before ordering as they can add to the total price.

Best of luck whatever saw you decide on.

I'd love a bigger cast iron saw myself but am limited to the space in the 20'x10' garage I use as a workshop and still have to find room for a lathe and a thicknesser. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back