Best time to get in the electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start work on completely refitting my bathroom. As part of this I will be taking down and replacing the ceiling, replacing the existing lighting installing a shower light/extractor and changing the location of the outside lightswitch.

When I say 'I', I mean that I will be getting in an Electrician to do all the electrical parts. The problem is that I'm not sure of the best time to get the electrician in. I want to sort the ceiling out as soon in the project as possible but is it best to get somebody in before I board the ceiling or after?

As I can see it, it would be easier if the ceiling is down as he can run the cabling with little effort but then he will have nothing to fix the lights to and I guess I'd have to call him back in to finish the job.

If I board it first, will he have to damage my new ceiling to run the cabling? If any of you professionals out there could give me your opinion that would be great.

Also, is it the norm to wire the shower light/extractor into the existing lighting circuit? I don't have any mains wiring to the bathroom at present and would like to keep it this way if possible.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
is there access from above?

if so then it should be no problem to finish the celing first, if not you probablly wan't the electrian in twice, onee to fit the wiring (before boarding) and again to fit the accessories and connect it up (after boarding).

Sorry, should have mentioned. I'm in a ground floor flat with no access from above.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back