Best tough flooring options for a garage/utility area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I would just like to get your advise on the best flooring options for a garage/utility area. I would like it to be as tough and durable as possible as I use the area for various purposes (workshop, washing machine, parking car, etc). The floor is currently just bare concrete.

Quarry tiles seem to be a good option, but the job may be a bit ambitious for a DIY newbie like me who has never even mixed mortar before! Rubber tiles look very easy to lay and very durable, but frighteningly expensive (around £40 per square metre at Screwfix - anyone know any cheaper ones??). I guess that most other options - laminate/wood, vinyl, cork, etc would not be tough enough for my requirements, but that's one reason for posting - maybe I've overlooked other options.

Please just let me know what you think and what you would do! Thanks very much for anyone who has taken the time to read my post.

All the best

Jon

Sponsored Links
I have bought these last week for round my hot tub area but does say you can use it as a driveway for your car! It is very strong (up to 110 tonnes/m2) Pack of 10 squares 300mm x 300mm which is just over 1 metre square for £24.90. They're fitted together like jig-saw puzzle which can also be cut if needed. Temperature rating from -30 to +70 degree.
8873_2.jpg

Masona

Thanks so much for the reply - those tiles look great. Where did you buy them - could you send me a link?

Much appreciated

Jon

Ah sorry forgot to put in the link :!:

Here will take you straight to the plastic flooring or the homepage is www.tempsl.com , type in stock no: 8873

I have just noticed that 36cm x 36cm is the wrong size online as my catalogue is showing 30cm x 30cm which is the correct size.

Sponsored Links
weve put old contract office carpet tiles in ours, cheap and work a treat.

If its smooth concrete you could just use floor paint, it would be much cheaper and easier.

Guys

I can't thank you enough for all your advice and suggestions - I really appreciate it and you have opened my eyes to all sorts of possibilities that I didn't even know about before. The project has now been turned from a dull and somewhat daunting task to an exiting, learning experience!

I will look into all the options you have suggested. I must say that the epoxy resin sealer looks great and is clearly extremely tough. Does anyone have any experience of using it?

Thanks again

Jon

An epoxy floor is incredibly tough, used in food processing plants, garages etc, very hard wearing, and easy to clean. Not too pricey either. May not have the aesthetics you want though.

JonHead34 said:
I must say that the epoxy resin sealer looks great and is clearly extremely tough. Does anyone have any experience of using it?
My friend dentist have it on his floor for easy cleaning for the last 25 years, still look good as new, it even goes up to curved 4" on the wall edge like a skirting board. I'm not sure about the cost though.

Probably the cheapest option is vinylised floor tiles, the kind that snap when you bend them. They are fairly cheap, very tough, and stable on damp subfloors ( does the garage have a d.p.m.?) If you lay them with an asphalt tile adhesive this acts to an extent as a d.p.m.
I laid my garage 15 years ago (dampness is a problem) and it still looks good.
Otherwise quarry tiles or epoxy.

masona said:
JonHead34 said:
I must say that the epoxy resin sealer looks great and is clearly extremely tough. Does anyone have any experience of using it?
My friend dentist have it on his floor for easy cleaning for the last 25 years, still look good as new, it even goes up to curved 4" on the wall edge like a skirting board. I'm not sure about the cost though.

Wow, he must do some deep canal root stuff,

Thanks to all for the further replies - please keep them coming!

Some further newbie questions...

The concrete on my garage floor has a rippled, brushed finish. Is it okay to apply floor paint/epoxy resin directly to a floor like this or should it be a completely flat surface? If so, how should I do this - by using a screed?

This begs the question why are concrete floors commonly given a rippled finish when they are setting - wouldn't it be easier to let them set completely flat?

Also, and I'm really showing my ignorance here, when a applying a floor screed the walls of the garage will provide a natural barrier for three sides, but what should I do with the final side - the open end of the garage where the doors are? How should I form a barrier at this open end so that the screed will set nicely?

Thanks again to all!

Jon

JonHead34 said:
...The concrete on my garage floor has a rippled, brushed finish. Is it okay to apply floor paint/epoxy resin directly to a floor like this or should it be a completely flat surface? ....what should I do with the final side - the open end of the garage where the doors are? How should I form a barrier at this open end so that the screed will set nicely?...
Jon

The comfortflooring link I posted earlier actually states:

"Preparation: Surface must be clean and dry ... A brush finish is ideal to provide a key for the screed."

I suppose the only issue is ensuring you have enough resin to bring it up to a level above the highest ridge of concrete floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back