Best treatment for internal solid oak doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased 3 solid oak internal doors, however they have still to be treated. The current finish on the untreated doors is the look we want so can anyone tell me or suggest what the best treatment for these doors would be. The local DIY shop suggested clear satin varnish, but I'm a bit concerned about varnishing. I've also heard wax could be good.

I hope to use something that is easily applied and does not need regular maintenance.

Sponsored Links
>The current finish on the untreated doors is the look we want

So the obvious approach is to do nothing. No problem.
Or you could rub a little linseed oil or tung oil in.
Or you could use beeswax,
You could first oil it and then wax it but once you have waxed it you can't then put oil on it.
Gradually, over the years, the colour will darken whatever you do. Unless you limewash it!

I assumed the doors need to be treated to prevent cracking or distortion however if I can leave them as they are this would be best because it is the finish we want and saves me from more work!

If the doors will not be affected over time I will leave them as they are.

Thanks

If you don't treat them at all, they will get dirty, especially around the edge where people grab them, and round the handle.

I recently oiled some hardwood door sills and window surrounds and am very pleased with the result. It has brought out the figuring and colour of the wood, rather as you would if you moistened it with a damp sponge. The oil soaks in and dries so the surface does not feel oily.

Sponsored Links
Yes, JohnD's right about the wood getting grubby if you leave it bare, but any cracking and distortion in oak is not going to be affected or preventable by surface treatments. Tung oil ( or Danish) leaves the wood looking very natural without too shiney a surface. That's what I use on the oak doors I make. You can add wax later if you decide you like a more polished look.

Just recently done all my oak doors, skirting and architrave with Osmo hard wax clear matt finish. Superb stuff, very easy to apply and really natural feel and finish. I've applied 3 coats to get a very slightly 'waxy' feel.

thats nice.

now should i tell you the post was written 2 1/2 years ago

thats nice.

now should i tell you the post was written 2 1/2 years ago
So what :confused:

Are you saying Eng33 post is waste of time just because the info will useful to someone else :?:

Why oh why do you keep banging on about old posts :?:

So tell me where in the forum rules about old posts :?:

Not sure how that happened, always read this forum using the recent posts link, and that thread must have come up but didn't realise it's age.... very strange....

But anyway, yeah - so what?! ;)

I for one am very glad someone replyed to an old post because I have 8 internal doors to treat and had no idea what to do but as mentioned I don't want to change the colour or appearance. Will have to do something or 2 small boys will probably leave quiet a lot of grubby marks! :D

Regards Stan

i'm grateful of 3 years of replies answering the question i was about to ask ! thank you all

I've used Ronseal brushing wax on most of my doors. They are old Pine doors and they were stripped back to original wood. I found it changed the colour very little but gave enough protection to stop grubby marks at the edges (as another poster mentions).

Funnily enough, I am just about to change to oak doors and might try the tung oil - sounds quite a nice finish.

Dave

This thread came up on a google search so apologies in advance if people might get upset at its age..! I feel the topic (and help) are still relevant.

My oak veneered doors are currently being fitted (and look superb - thanks Wickes! Recommended at the price) but the recommended finish is exterior-quality wood stain (I think to 'seal' the doors from absorbing moisture from the air which could make them warp?). Ideally I'd prefer to wax the doors, but am concerned about deviating from the recommended finish.

Has anyone here waxed oak veneer doors and been happy with the long-term results? Or are there any horror stories?

Failing that, can anyone recommend a good exterior woodstain that could be suitable? As you'll see from the image below, the oak in its natural form is very light. I'd like to darken it slightly for a more traditional golden oak colour.

All comments greatly appreciated!

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Geneva-Oak-Veneer-Door/invt/190919

Geneva-Oak-Finish-Door_large.jpg

have you asked Wickes customer service yet? they should be in touch with the manufacturer.

have you asked Wickes customer service yet? they should be in touch with the manufacturer.

Yeah, and they were not much help. They just referred me to the notes that came with the door.

I've had Fiddes 'Hard Wax Oil' http://www.fiddes.co.uk/content/hard-wax-oil.html recommended by somebody, and have spoken to Fiddes who say it is water resistant (its used on wooden floors and kitchen counter tops). I've just tried some of the Fiddes clear satin finish Hard Wax Oil on some oak that was trimmed off one of the doors and it gives exactly the effect I was after. Dunno why but I'm still not 100% convinced that it will seal the doors against absorbing moisture from changes in humidity. Maybe I'm being over-cautious?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back