Best type of connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to refit our bathroom, and I'll completely replumb the place. I've used both soldered joints (the type that come pre-soldered and which you just clean, flux, heat with a blowtorch and add more solder to) and compression joints, but never pushfit/speedfit etc.

What are all the different types of joint - I'm not familiar with the difference between Yorkshire, capillary etc - and which are generally regarded as being the most reliable?

Sponsored Links
llykstw said:
What are all the different types of joint - I'm not familiar with the difference between Yorkshire, capillary etc - and which are generally regarded as being the most reliable?

yorkshire are capilliary. yeeeers ago the only people who made capilliary fittings were called yorkshire (they even owned what is now plumb centre......twas called yorkshire heating as i remember) so capilliary fittings are often called "yorkshire" by older plumbers. the theory behind yorkshire fittings are that the solder is already there so you don't have to add it. the other type are end feed, they just don't have a solder ring. you heat the pipe and add solder. i've never met a plumber yet who didn't add solder to a yorkshire fitting, more of an indication that the solder has run than a necessity. so you're better off buying end feed if you're gonna add solder anyway. they are less than half the price as well (in the ne they are)

they are both reliable if soldered properly. the slip (length the fitting goes onto the pipe) is usually 3/4 the diameter of the pipe it's going on. if all surfaces are clean and a fitting is on full slip, with the right heat you should be able to solder a joint that will be unbreakable.

if you're unsure cut some ends of pipe get some flux (i think everyone uses powerflow) and practice with heat/solder amount/touching flux on a hot fitting. you'll get the hang of it. you could teach a monkey to solder.............
......hardest part is finding a monkey.

what protection do people use other than soldering mats, (which are very small like plumbers G-strings) ? Baking trays? Fire blankets?

Sponsored Links
if i need to shield the background from heat I put a roof slate behind the mat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back