Best type of fill for uneven grainy surfaces

21 Nov 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am currently re-decorating the living room. I have successfully stripped walls and washed down and sanded and am now in the process of filling all the cracks and holes before painting directly onto the walls, therefore I am looking for as smooth a surface as possible.

Whilst the majority of the wall surface is rather smooth, there are areas of the wall which are rather grainy and uneven. I have tried to smooth them over with both deep filler and finishing filler both of the polycell variety, but am finding it difficult and have the added problem of the grainy sandy surface eroding away as i try to fill?

Does anybody have any tips or advice for dealing with this kind of surface. Hopefully you'll know the type of surface i am referring to by my description.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Use a stabiliser over the whole crumbly surface, and then fill as required.
I tend to use toupret fillers ,but they all handle a different way and the above suggestion of easyfill may be the way to go.
good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links