Best way to clean INTERNAL BRICKWORK prior to PVA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

Need some advice on this. My husband and I have been in our house two years now and have just ripped out old gas fire & 70's brick fireplace to replace with cast iron looky-likey electric stove in the recess of the chimney. Behind this we have wonderful old brickwork (1900 terraced house so it was expected) which we want to make a feature of. I've seen other topics on here saying to use PVA to simply seal the brickwork or some other "clear coat" stuff which sounds fine.

However, how thorough do we need to be with the removal off dust and soot that has built? Will we have to scrub down the bricks until our knuckles bleed and there is no trace of dust or will the sealant still work if we simply give it a vac & scrub to remove the vast majority of it? Also,is it absolutely necessary to repoint the old brickwork with lime mortar or if its solid can it just be left.

Responses would be GREATLY appreciated as we have no idea.

Thanks
Danni

Sponsored Links
It just depends on what sort of finish you want. Soot is difficult to remove from bricks. Just clean it until you are happy with it. As far as the sealant goes, simply give it a brush or vacuum and coat it. If it doesn't need repointing then I'd rather leave it. It often looks false when pointed up too much.

don't use pva as a permanent sealant.

there are lacquers on the market specifically for this scenario.

if the pointing is unstable, then re- point.

noseall said:
don't use pva as a permanent sealant.

there are lacquers on the market specifically for this scenario.

if the pointing is unstable, then re- point.

No dont...I would wash it down hoover it and then give it a couple of coats of thinned matt varnish.

Sponsored Links
So, (just to confirm) I should give bricks a clean down with just a bit of soapy (?) water, then leave to dry and vac up any excess dust. Also, do you think a wire brush would be too harsh on this surface, should I get something with slightly softer bristles? Then I should coat it in something like...

http://www.polyvine-shop.com/coatings_cl.php

(Got confused with PVA for plaster which we're also having done!!??)

Could I then use normal matt emulsion over the top or do I have to use special paint? The pointing/mortar is pretty solid and I don't really want to ruin the character of the original brickwork anyway?

This really is appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back