Best way to grow a privet hedge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just planted about 30 privet bushes. They were 'pre-grown' to about 60 - 80cms tall when I bought them.

My main aim is to create a 'barrier' in the garden (probably keeping it about 1.5 - 2m high), so I just planted them 'one' deep as there is no need for a very thick hedge.

I would appreciate any advice on the best way to cultivate a hedge as quick as possible. i.e. Should I leave them for a few weeks to establish, then chop the tops off them to encourage a 'bushier' growth?

Any tips greatly received :)

Many thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Gary,
Where'd you get them and how much, Im after some, about 30 i would guess.
Sorry cant offer any advice on them as its something i've yet to look into apart from the fact i need some.

skybluescooby said:
Gary,
Where'd you get them and how much, Im after some, about 30 i would guess.
Sorry cant offer any advice on them as its something i've yet to look into apart from the fact i need some.

Hi, I got them from here: http://www.jparkers.co.uk/. They arrived in about 2 weeks from ordering (although it said it can take up to 28 days). The quality of them was good, and although they were only planted yesterday, they seem healthy enough :)

Gary,

Thanks for the advice for my PC problem :)

I started/grew some privat hedge a couple or three years ago and they are now over 6ft. I planted them with a hand full of 'bone-meal' (for roses) and general purpose compost.
I also 'feed' them with water from my outdoor fish pond (full of nutrients, ideal for all of your plants) every time i do a water change (every 6-8weeks). If you don't have a pond ask around your niegbours for a bucket or two..

I live on the coast NE-Scotland, with the frosts we are still experiencing and coupled with the salty sea air, you may subject them to 'wind burn' if you trim them now, which may kill off the new shoots.
I would wait until late march/april, before you trim the top of the bushes this would give the saplings a chance to establish themselves and get used to the soil.

I also see you purchased them from Manchester (middle england) they may struggle to survive up north. I much prefer to buy my garden plants from a local nursery, where they are already used to the light/soil/air conditions.

All the best... :)

Sponsored Links
Hi BoDon,

Thanks for your advice - I live about 70 miles West of you, so our climate is pretty similar (minus the salty sea air). The pond water is a great idea. I don't have one, but I think I know where to get some not too far from me :)

I'll get some bone meal tomorrow and dig it into the ground around their roots. I am glad to see that they are still looking healthy :)

Thanks again,

Gary

Gary_M said:
Hi,

I have just planted about 30 privet bushes. They were 'pre-grown' to about 60 - 80cms tall when I bought them.

My main aim is to create a 'barrier' in the garden (probably keeping it about 1.5 - 2m high), so I just planted them 'one' deep as there is no need for a very thick hedge.

I would appreciate any advice on the best way to cultivate a hedge as quick as possible. i.e. Should I leave them for a few weeks to establish, then chop the tops off them to encourage a 'bushier' growth?

Any tips greatly received :)

Many thanks,

Gary

You should let them grow to about a foot taller than the final height you want then cut them to the height you want. If you cut back the main stem too soon you will have more bush than height.

Sorry to disagree but I inherited a privet hedge along with a load of **** conifers in a neglected garden and the privet is spindly up to about 18 inches from the top where I trim it..So I would keep trimming a new one if I was to grow one.......Everything else was grubbed out over a year ago. Good fun with a mini- digger :LOL:

Privet hedges are easy. They will grow quite easily from cuttings. It is difficult to stop them growing. :)
If they get leggy, they can be cut back drastically, seems to do them no harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back