Best way to remove stain from a painted wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Painted walls: what should I use to remove stains, like shoe marks, marker marks (kids) and food/grease marks (more kids)?? =D

My 'net research has indicated I should use something called 'TSP' mixed with some water. Does this remove the mark without damaging the paint?

And if I have to paint a small patch is there a way to make it not apparent? Or does the whole wall need to be painted again?

Forum search turned up nothing.

Thanks
Mack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mack said:
My 'net research has indicated I should use something called 'TSP' mixed with some water. Does this remove the mark without damaging the paint?

why not ask where you found the advice or the people who make the stuff

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a few products designed for this sort of thing, but being in the UK they might not be available over your way.

"Flash Eraser" is one that is being advertised heavily at the moment. It is a brand owned by Procter & Gamble, so might be sold in the States under a different name. There are similar products that are like a putty you rub against the wall.

Failing that, sugar soap is pretty good for getting greasy marks off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Acetone (ok, ok ethanone !!!) or more commonly known as nail polish remover gets rid of loads of stains (try and inconspicous area first etc etc) or methylated spirits.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If none of these work you will have to repaint the wall. However, ordinary emulsion will not cover up certain stains (oil, damp etc) and you should use an oil-based undercoat paint over the offending stain first. Good luck!