Best way to strip paint from 100 doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy,

The subject line says it all. I need to strip clean 100 metal doors for my business. I've researched a bit and there seems to be varying consensus on pressure washers, etc.

So what's the quickest, most cost effective way to accomplish this task? What are some of the risks? I've read that striping is an issue if a pressure washer is used improperly.

As a side note:
I've been trying to find information on something I saw on TV once. A UK inventor (if I remember correctly) designed a pressure paint remover that was just incredible to watch. This was a few years ago, but it used no/little water and just some sand. He stripped a wood table of paint in about five minutes vs. the comparison subject who took several hours using a flame and spatula. They said this product was going to be commercialized but I haven't found anything about it at all. Any ideas?

Thank you
Mack

Sponsored Links
Get them professionally dipped in caustic soda (NaOH) then jet sprayed. Costs about £10 per door in the UK.

Hmm, just re-read the original post, as the doors are metal, this could react badly with the caustic soda. Probably the quickest way would be to have them shot blasted.

Sponsored Links
Just been watching Our House 2 on one of the sky channels, with the delectable Jenny Powell (fancied her since I first saw her on Jonathan King's No Limits, ahhh...)

Anyway, to the point, they had a cast iron fireplace, covered inpaint, which they got sand blasted, looked great after that, but they then buffed it up as well, WOW!

Might be worth looking around your area for a sand blaster able to work on metal doors?

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be looking into them here.

:)

I saw the prog. think it was tomorrows world. Had a look because I thought it would be a good buisness. I am sure the guys did the blasting on the HMS Victory although this clue hasnt gotten me any closer to finding them on the net... they are ther though as I have seen the site ages ago and since lost it.

hope it helps track em

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back