BG 3 star cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Can you tell me whether or not I get a full and proper service with a British Gas 3-star service plan? I was under the impression I did, however I have been advised by an independent gas engineer that all I get is a safety inspection, having checked the terms and conditions on the BG website it says that I get a ‘safety and maintenance inspection of your boiler and system (except for parts of the system that aren't readily accessible and electric boilers).’

I am worried that all that may have been carried out is a test to ensure that dangerous gases are not present at the time of their inspection. From my limited knowledge I know that my expansion vessel is at the back of the boiler and is not accessible, if this is not pressurised accordingly on an annual basis is there a possibility of this becoming unsafe in itself?

Given that the boiler is over 8 years old I would prefer to keep it in a good working order, would you professionals suggest a service is recommended, or is the BG inspection adequate? If you think a service is a good idea what checks should I ask the gas engineer to carry out, I’m aware from previous posts on here that some just brush the dust and debris out of the heat exchanger and class that as a service.

Cheers,

Terry

Sponsored Links
I was with BG 3* for two years, and the reason I left them was the same as your gas engineer said. All they did was a safety inspection and rubbed a brush over the burner jets to clean them.

Stick with an independent gas installer/fitter, Corgi Reg of course.

Salem.

No its not a full service unless one is required...it is to check all the safety components on the boiler and general condition and to try to preempt any impending faults and also attend to any system problems. The level of the inspection will depend on the boiler ie a suprima needs very little attention on an annual basis, a bermuda needs a full strip down and service.

You're about right Teggs.
This is how it seems to me, trying to be objective:

There are arguments on all sides on this, but the basic point is that most boilers don't need any attention for years. Back boilers do, and other conventionally flued boilers should be checked inside, annually.

There is an argument, and it is certainly valid, that by disturbing things they are more likely to become "faulty". The flue gas check they do is basic, but shows that the appliance burning gas efficiently.

Invasive servicing will prevent very few faults coming up. It's true that a dirty fan will eventually cause a failure, but mine hasn't been cleaned in 20 years. (FGA says it's fine) A leak in the boiler wouldn't get noticed, which might kill it prematurely, but they're not too common. Something like a diaphragm would not get changed annually on a normal service - these are one of the main causes of breakdown though.

They would argue that they are there quickly if anything does go wrong, which is fair. Also, if anyone asks for a boiler to be opened and serviced, my understanding is that they will do it.

What you're buying is insurance, rather than extra life on your boiler. When Sludge raises its head, possibly the number one problem, you aren't covered. When your boiler is getting on at all they'll want to sell you a new one.

At £250 ish(?) a year I think it's a bit high, but then I would say that, wouldn't I?

Sponsored Links
I can't comment on individual engineers either BG or independant but I can tell you that without fail on an annual inspection the case seal must be inspected which obviously means the boiler needs stripping down to an extent

Corgi's recommendation was to use a FGA round the outside, or a "smoke plume", so no need to undo it. ??

ChrisR said:
Corgi's recommendation was to use a FGA round the outside, or a "smoke plume", so no need to undo it. ??

flame from a match on a positve pressure boiler chris yes, in addition to the visual check, but the visual check is required on all room sealed appliances. FGA round the seal is a no no because its pumped.

I think folks have an unrealistic idea of a service as a magical guarantee the boiler won't fault, wheras in reality is is the equivalent of a car mot in that it is safe and ok on the day.

Teggs, my 2 p worth.

we have the same as you, our boiler has given problems, we call bg, make apt then they come and fix it (ok yes they dont always have parts, but you can expect them to have all parts for all boilers in small van)

I wouldnt say we have had them out a lot but we do know most of them by now

This may be at the extreme end but.....

I was called by an insurance company between Christmas the the new year to fix a boiler for a 71 y.o. As it turned out a very agile and capable 71 y.o. who would have pleasured many a desperate sailor!

It was a three year old condensing Vaillant. It was in VERY poor condition and leaking in many places. The fault that had killed it was the corroded flue leaking water onto the NTC.

I listed 11 items that needed attention, I would have out the cost at £400.

She had questioned the BG man only spending five min with his FGA but he said there is no need to open it if the FGA is within limits.

She called BG and the man studied my list and inspected the boiler without comment and returned a couple of days later and spent the best part of a day replacing the bits!

Shortly afterwards her house was bought by a property developer and demolished!

Tony Glazier

I can tell you that without fail on an annual inspection the case seal must be inspected
According to whom? Remember the "check" as done by BG isn't a service OR a Landlord's type check. Overwhelming anecdotal evidence is that FGA is all that's done in many cases.

ChrisR said:
I can tell you that without fail on an annual inspection the case seal must be inspected
According to whom? Remember the "check" as done by BG isn't a service OR a Landlord's type check. Overwhelming anecdotal evidence is that FGA is all that's done in many cases.

BG procedures, if it can be proven that the seal hasn't been visually checked it is a disciplinary...I'm sure many engineers decide to run that risk but that applies to all engineers not just BG. I can tell you what should be done:

Preliminary electricals - earth continuity, resistance to earth, polarity.
Fuse rating
Burner pressure
fsd
case seal
appliance condition
flue flow / spillage
emissions
rads and controls

The check can be and very often is a full service, but the name was changed for the boilers where a full annual service isn't always required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back