birds mouth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone tell me the process of making a birdsmouth cut, i have tried it a it seems really complicated and have wasted a lot of timber trying to get it right and am at my wits end.

Sponsored Links
Common_Rafter_Step4.jpg

Once you have the angle of your roof then one side of the birdmouth is the same angle which should be the same as the fascia side then come off 90 degree of that, the picture shown of the birdmouth is too big :!: The corner or the point of the birdmouth should be no more than 1/3 width of the timber. The picture is showing 50% cut :!:

Sponsored Links
zed35467: This probably isn't what you're looking for but ... I do all my Rafter Dimensiong by calculating the cuts using trigonometry.
This Hip/Valley Roof Calculator will help you determine the angles. It's still "under construction", has been for the past year and probably will never really be finished. The lengths are to the theoretical centerlines of the rafters and ridges. There are links to diagrams and other web based calculators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back