1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

biro on lino

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by doyley103, 14 Mar 2006.

1. doyley103

doyley103

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    can anyone help me to get rid of biro from a kitchen lino. :D

2. Nestor_Kelebay

Nestor_Kelebay

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd do a bit better if I knew what "Biro" is. (Haven't got a clue, actually.)

Did the "Biro" stain the linoleum so that you can't wipe the Biro off with a damp sponge?

Do you expect that bleach straight out of the jug would remove the Biro?

3. Sponsored Links
  4. kevplumb

kevplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    biro = ball point pen ;)

5. empip

empip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As previously stilted ... Biro is a common term for a ballpoint pen
    ;)

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Nestor_Kelebay

Nestor_Kelebay

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And here I thought Biro was something you drank. (Musta been thinking "beer-o")

Inks will often have an alcohol base so they dry quickly, and that's why hair spray (which is also alcohol based so it dries quickly) will often remove ink from clothing. Try spraying it with hair spray and wiping it off. If that doesn't work, I'd try some other solvents like white spirits (paint thinner) and isopropyl alcohol if you have any handy.

Nail polish remover often consists mostly of just acetone in a bottle, and acetone would also be worth a try. I've found that acetone causes some of the linoleums I have in my bathrooms to swell up, but doesn't seem to affect others at all. Those that swell up seem to shrink back down again and don't show any permanent damage from the acetone that I can see. So, if the hair spray and white spirits don't take it off, try wiping the mark off with a bit of toilet paper dampened with nail polish remover. Maybe test in an inconspicuous spot, first, tho.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local