bitumen coated roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking at a hosue and thinking of making an offer. They have a pitched grey tile roof, but the whole thing seems to have been painted with a layer of bitumen? If we bought the house would we be leaving ourselves open to a world of horrors or is this actually a good thing? Never seen anything like it before!!

Sponsored Links
some roofing repair companies thought it would be a good idea to repair a slate roof with a layer of hessian sacking and a coat of bitumen.
short term, ok.
long term nightmare.
any problems you now have with the roof, aren't immediately visible, as a result of this black horror.

the next repair stage, after the bitumen bodge is a complete strip, re-felt, batten and tile.

Thanks, managed to speak to a roofer who said don't touch it, once the bitumen starts to crack the water will get under and it'll need a new roof. I'm gonna give it a miss!

Sponsored Links
If you like the house, then just put in a reduced offer which allows for the roof tile replacement.

With proper Welsh Slate .......not Chinese ;)

Thanks to all those that replied - re the reduced offer, we were already going to offer way under their valuation - private sale because of concerns over a few other things - ie the vendor would only say 'a mate looked at it and he said its in good condition for the year' when I asked about the wiring. As the house was built in about 1910 this could mean anything!!!

The roof was pretty much the last straw - its a big Edwardian house with a kitchen in an extension and I'm guessing the new roof would run into thousands on top of the wiring, re-rendering of one side wall etc, skimming the whole inside of the house, knocking rooms through.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back