Bitumen/self levelling/tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, i have searched this to death and still cannot find a definative for my problem.

I need to lay ceramic tiles in my downstairs toilet. I've lifted the old tiles to fing black bitumen. the floor is unlevel and would like to level with a self levelling compound. Does the bitumen need to come off? Can i just prime, lay the compount then tile??

Can anybody advise me on this as i've read maybe 10 different opinions on the following.

Cheers in advance

Tom

+++++++++++++++++
I have deleted your duplicate post

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
You can use a self levelling compound , then tile on top , no probs , :)

I have same problem, lifted tiles found thin layer bitumen on concrete.

I intend laying compound straight on top as cannot be bothered to hire kango and scrabble floor.

Did it work or did the compound break up as Sika technical told me?

Cheers
==============

I need to lay ceramic tiles in my downstairs toilet.

Oh my! You are doing exactly the same job as me! I'll give you a race hehe ;).

Does the bitumen need to come off?

I think as long as the bitumen is adhered well to the concrete, then it should be ok to apply self levelling compound over the top of it. I would keep it on because that is your damp proofer ;).

By the way, what size tiles are you using? I'm uisng 13"x13" (330mmx330mm)

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do that.
I don't understand the fear behind bitumen (asphalt). You can tile on it no problem. As long as it's dead clean and dry (not dusty), you're ok using a decent powdered adhesive - if you want to make doubley sure, use flexible powdered adhesive. I've used Feb fastset adhesive with no problems.

Oh my! You are doing exactly the same job as me! I'll give you a race hehe ;).

I think i beat you there pal, i posted that back in september and finished it a few days later :LOL: . As Moz and gcol said, it was fine to tile or put levelling compound down on top of bitumen - no probs at all. I think i was worried to begin with because i wasnt quite sure what bitumen was.

Hi, could you give me some advise, i have a similar problem, i have removed my vinyl floor tiles and was considering removing the black sticky stuff (bitumin?) underneath them but i was told that this could be the damp proofing as the floors in the type of house i live in have not got a dpm under the concrete. In your experiences would it be ok to apply ceramic floor tile adhesive straight onto the black sticky stuff (bitumin?).

Cheers............

I have only done this once in my kitched. The toilet (that i originally posted about was levelled before hand). The kitchen tiles are still down and havent shown any signs of movement at all so i would say (in my opinion) that yes it would be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back