Bizarre situation

B

Belrose

:confused: Hi everybody. I have a very bizarre situation at the moment and would welcome any suggestions. I only hope I can explain it clearly enough for you to get the picture !

I am at present located in Ireland and opened a PAYG account with eircom.net several months ago. At the end of Dec/beginning Jan 07 I went over to BT broadband. It was open to me to continue to use the eircom. email address even tho I am now with BT so I did that to save having to notify every contact of a new address. So my address is still ' [email protected].'

Recently a friend on btinternet.com (located in UK) stopped getting the emails I was sending to them. People on tiscali, waitrose, talk-talk, etc continued to get emails from me as normal. The friend on btinernet.com telephoned BT Technical Support (in UK) and they found one recent e-mail on the server, which had been intercepted as spam. They found none of the others.

My friend has written to me (via hotmail) saying "It would appear that the problem may be at your end, with the messages possibly being blocked at the point of sending to Outlook Express. This may be the case as we are the only ones not receiving your messages."

Has anyone ever heard of/experienced a similar problem ? Any advice very gratefully received as I have absolutely no idea what to do next.....

Sponsored Links
You have you setup the outgoing servers on your email account(s) in Outlook Express?

Breezer wrote :

"........change to a BT e-mail address"

Thanks Breezer - if I have to, I have to, but why are all my other e-mails getting through do you think ?

Igorian wrote:

"......have you set up the outgoing servers....."

Thanks Igorian. Yes, following BT's instructions I have got:

Incoming Mail (POP3) = mail1.eircom.net

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) = mail.iol.ie

Sponsored Links
It's probably because you are using the Ireland On Line SMTP (outgoing) server to send to the BT address. If you are using BT broadband, you should use the BT SMTP server (mail.btinternet.com) for all outgoing mail. You will need to check the My Server Requires Authentication box in OE and use the BT username and password. The POP servers (incoming) can remain the same and use their own username and password.

:confused:
Thanks Igorian - I am still baffled because in the instructions on set-up BT said

IMPORTANT: Do NOT select "Log on using Secure Password
Authentication"

and

IMPORTANT: Do NOT select "My server requires authentication"

Sorry if I am being dense but are you saying that I cannot e-mail BT to BT without changing the settings you describe ?
It is all the more baffling because I can RECEIVE e-mails from btinternet !

Sometimes I think I will chuck the computer in the bin, but I like it too much - the fun on General Discussion gives me the best giggle I have had in ages....

Bel

Sounds odd that they say not to use server authentication for email. Do you have a BT email address?

:) No, my e-mail address is still "[email protected]." The instructions I followed are entitled "Using an Eircom e-mail address on a BT Ireland connection". It sounded odd to me that I wasn't required to change to an "iol.ie" address and actually asked on the helpline if I had understood correctly and could still use my eircom address. The reply was affirmative which is why I proceeded as I did !

I did use the 'username' and password supplied by BT when setting up.

Bel

Ok, i'm with you. It should work fine as IOL appear to run an open SMTP. IOL would be the first point of contact.

:cry: But have you any clue/theory as to why my friend on btinternet.com isn't getting my e-mails ? Should we still pester BT (in UK) in case they are still rejecting them as spam ? Could they have rejected the first one because it contained the name of a product (Liberon White Knotting) which the filter identified as spam and once my e-mail address was 'banned' I was scuppered ? Might be talking rubbish here but all the logical avenues seem to have been explored !

Bel :rolleyes:

:D Igorian - good news - a 'test' email I sent to my friend last night arrived ! Having had the benefit of your help in ensuring that my settings were correct, I am now convinced that they (BT UK) took their time 'unblocking' my address after my friend had phoned to enquire and was told that at least one e-mail from me was caught in the spam filter.

Still, mustn't get too excited, could be a flash in the pan....

Thank you very much indeed for your time and patience.
Kind regards
Bel

Sponsored Links
Back