Black Marks above Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have noticed dirty black marks above my radiators. It looks like
smoke. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Sponsored Links
no its not dust

its like stains that have driedinto the wall abover the radiators

i was told by someone recently it has to do with the radiators needing bled out every now and again

because the dirty water inside them is coming through

is this true ??

concept said:
i was told by someone recently it has to do with the radiators needing bled out every now and again because the dirty water inside them is coming through

Did they also tell you what you can catch from toilet seats?

Sponsored Links
concept said:
no its not dust

its like stains that have driedinto the wall abover the radiators

i was told by someone recently it has to do with the radiators needing bled out every now and again

because the dirty water inside them is coming through

is this true ??

Someone is pulling your chain.

its probably very old dust.

it gets there by convection, why not get a ken dodd tickling stick and run that behind each rad, an a henry would help too

concept said:
dirty black marks above my radiators.... It looks like
smoke.
Yes, this is typical of airborne dirt and pollution including dust (sorry). It is very small particles that you cannot see being carried up in the warm air and sticking to the wall. You will find it very difficult to clean off. If the walls are painted they soak into the paint. If you have smokers in the house it will be worse as the smoke particles will be drifting about in the room.

If you put a narrow shelf above the radiator it will disrupt the airstream and reduce staining.

Similar staining can appear above hot light fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back