bleeding radiators :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi My name is Dani I have bled all my radiators successfully...One radiator always hisses when bled, but no water ever comes out? It is not as hot as other radiators, but it does work a little! Can you help me?

Sponsored Links
The hiss is air, the reason it's not as hot is that it's air not water, the answer would be to keep bleeding until it stops hissing. This may take a while, but eventually it should stop and water should come out.

What's a while? I have had the thing opened for about six hours...The hissing stopped seconds after I opened it...but still no water...all other radiators bleed to water just fine! This radiator is exceptionally larger than all the rest. "Anticipation..."

If the troublesome radiator is upstairs and not completely filling then it is possible that the system either needs topped up, or your header tank may need to be moved to a higher position as you might not have enough working head of pressure. If the radiator is downstairs, then you probably have an airlock.

Sponsored Links
Any risk in topping off the system? (e.g. explosion)
Should I do it while the heater is off and system is cold? How do I know how much water to add?
Thanks
-Bill in Arlington VA, USA

your header tank should have a ball valve, this is so that it "automatically" fills up and keeps it at the same level i.e. to where the ball valve sits.

To be on the safe side do it while the heating is off

U.K.

My expansion tank is an antique and doesn't have a ball valve-A pro is coming in today to look at it. Thanks for your input and I hope to visit this site again... I'm sure this won't be the last time I need help!
-Bill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back