blending brush and roller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I painted a room yesterday using a light colour B and Q own brand wipeable matt. I used a brush around the edges approx 6" in, taking care to brush in fairly well rather than leave a thick dripping coverage.
I then rollered up to and over this, but there is a really obvious border around the room where you can see what was brushed and what was rollered.

I did exactly the same on a different wall in the same room with Crown solo dark colour and that is fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
When you do your cuttin-in, try and only cut in about 2-3" with the brush, then when you come to roll and you load your roller up with the paint, dont roll into the cuttin-in first, roll onto the wall area thats bare,just near to your cuttin -in, then just before your going to load your roller up again, then roll into your cutting in, just go very carefully up to the cuttin-in.

If you feel that you might hit the ceiling, then get a little rad roller and use this as near to the top of the wall, and gently roll as much as the brush marks away, do the same at the bottom of the skirting.

OK. Will give it a go. Any idea why the other wall didn't cause problems - are some paints better than others?

Is it a case of one layer of paint thicker than the other or what? Could I get away with rollering what I have now, or will I need to re do the brush bits as well?

question for Kevin.
One wall looked ok but a whole room looked bad. mmmmm

Had your cutting in edges dried in the room before you done the rolling?

Try completing one wall at a time.Cut in your tops along the ceiling then your bottoms....then roll.That way the whole wall is wet at the same time.Sometimes if you let the cutting in dry before rolling you get an eyecatching mark.We call it "flashing" up here in Gods Country. ;)

And do yourself a favour Kevin and get some decent emulsion.Any B+Q paint Ive used has been p*sswater without exception.Spend an extra 20% or so and get a decent brand and you'll get better value for money.You English guys are so tight with your money its untrue :eek: :p

Sponsored Links
slow fade said:
question for Kevin.
One wall looked ok but a whole room looked bad. mmmmm

Had your cutting in edges dried in the room before you done the rolling?

Try completing one wall at a time.Cut in your tops along the ceiling then your bottoms....then roll.That way the whole wall is wet at the same time.Sometimes if you let the cutting in dry before rolling you get an eyecatching mark.We call it "flashing" up here in Gods Country. ;)

And do yourself a favour Kevin and get some decent emulsion.Any B+Q paint Ive used has been p*sswater without exception.Spend an extra 20% or so and get a decent brand and you'll get better value for money.You English guys are so tight with your money its untrue :eek: :p

I.m with slowfade on this one, on your final coat its best to do one wall at a time.

The problem I think is your different makes of paint, the B&Q one is much thinner than the crown solo, as that is supposed to cover in one coat, so I would presume you used it straight from the can as in theory thats what its designed for.

Personally I think these one coats are awful, and for a diyer who is not as fast as the professional painter, when the diyer is using it straight from the can,and as the paint is thicker, of course you will be slower, and the paint will be dragging.

I always thin down one coat emuslion (clients choice, not mine), and the difference in the finish is far better than straight from the can.

Infact, I did a thru loung a few weeks ago, using both colours crown solo, the focal wall was cocoa, and the other walls were mimosa, but I still watered down both paints, and there was no dragging, thick lines round the top, and it went on like a dream. :D

Thanks Guys.
As you have both said and I worked out myself when doing again, I think it was too warm and the paint was drying too quickly as you say. I was doing a wall at a time anyway, but when I put it on it was really dragging, and was near enough touch dry within a couple of minutes. Ended up doing literally a few feet at a time and it seems much better.

Did another wall with Crown solo and it was just the same. Perhaps it is down to the one coat type rather than the cheapness of it. I think I got away with the wall I was referring to yesterday as it was a much darker colour.

Anyway, it all seems OK once I slowed down, but will bear in mind about the one coat paints - perhaps normal stuff is better.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back