block paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have had a look on pavingexpert.com about block paving and have a few questions.

it says '100mm compacted granular sub-base' what is this exactly? hardcore?

anyway, how does this sound. 150mm hardcore, compacted, 40mm compacted sharp sand then paving ontop of that?

and useful tips for doin this would be appreciated

also, about how much is hardcore per ton? (searching hardcore brings up the wrong results and i aint got much time to look till later)

please note 9 which is here

Sponsored Links
If you want to do the job properly, dont do it yourself!

Thats the best advice I can give. Only an experianced trades person can do the job in a way that will last for a decent amount of time. It only takes doing one little thing wrong to end up with a crap job. They will have all the correct tools for the job. One tip if getting quotes, ask how thick they will go with crushed conc' (or type 1) and if its any less than 5", GO ELSEWHERE!!!

andrew2022 said:
it says '100mm compacted granular sub-base' what is this exactly? hardcore?
Hogging is another name for it, in simple term it's sand/stone/gravel mix which is more bonded together and difficult to loosen. You will need to hire a vibrating plate compactor for this.

Hardcore is old bricks, small lumps of concrete and paving slabs etc.
anyway, how does this sound. 150mm hardcore, compacted, 40mm compacted sharp sand then paving ontop of that?
That's fine for car weight, in the hardcore area I always use pea shingles to backfill all those small gaps that create by hardcore to stop any movement

Up my road there are a few having block paving done and all they do is to dig down deep with just compacted granular about 8"-12" then sharp sand on top with block paving.

Last year I paid £10 for 2yds skip hardcore, I think it's up to the skip driver to charge what they want.

thats for the advise. problem with gettin somone in to do it is we need the parkin ASAP (currently grassed area and hardcore at the back), but we dont want it done til nxt year (due to financial problems). so 1 idea was to make a start, dig it out and fill up, leaving the blocks till next year and park on the compacted material.

any tools etc we need will be hired/borrowed (obviously well need a vibration plate compactor.

as for hardcore, did you just get it from a skip company? i rekon well need about 5-6 (maybe more) ton hardcore for the part that used to be grass

Sponsored Links
andy said:
idea was to make a start, dig it out and fill up, leaving the blocks till next year and park on the compacted material.
That's okay, just make sure there's no sharp edge sticking out ruining the tyres.
as for hardcore, did you just get it from a skip company? i rekon well need about 5-6 (maybe more) ton hardcore for the part that used to be grass
Yes, just ring them up, they always have hardcore skip somewhere which they rather give it to you for money than dump it.

obviously getting someone else to do it is the ideal, but if you cant afford it, then have a go yourself. just take each stage slowly and plan it carfully. you never know what you can do till you try

Thermo said:
obviously getting someone else to do it is the ideal, but if you cant afford it, then have a go yourself. just take each stage slowly and plan it carfully. you never know what you can do till you try

im always up for a challege. if it doesnt go to well then we might have to get someone else. really tho, we need somewhere to park ASAP so rater than make a temporary parking, we might aswell make the foundations for the block paving ans use that

andy said:

Try ringing a local 'grab hire' company. They will be able to tell you how much per ton type 1 crushed concrete is.

Do try as this is the most ideal material to use for your sub base on block paving jobs. To help you work out how many tons you will need, its approx 1 1/2 tons per cubic meter of area you want to fill. Try to compact it with the plate compactor in layers, if you try to compact the entire depth in one go it can take hours of constant whacking to compact it properly.

By the way, please use more than 150mm of crushed, that is the minimum suggested by manufacturers and you might as well spend a little extra now to save you in the future. :D

Good luck and keep us posted! :D

countygardens said:
Try ringing a local 'grab hire' company. They will be able to tell you how much per ton type 1 crushed concrete is. ........

thanx for the advise. plan ATM is to dig it out and put into skip (day 1) then day 2 go get compactor and get hardcore/whatever delivered and get it all down same day.

what depth would you recommend for the bottom?

andy said:
thanx for the advise. plan ATM is to dig it out and put into skip (day 1) then day 2 go get compactor and get hardcore/whatever delivered and get it all down same day.

Sorry I was having a idiot moment last night 150mm is 6" which is fine for depth (dont know what I thought it was but there you go. Note to self:must stop relaxing too much)

Have you got a large area to dig? If so it might be wise to hire a mini digger to save you several days of 'back death'. Also Grab hire works out at least half the price of skips but you do need to have a large amount of crap for them to take to make it worthwhile.

countygardens said:
andy said:

Sorry I was having a idiot moment last night 150mm is 6" which is fine for depth (dont know what I thought it was but there you go. Note to self:must stop relaxing too much)

Have you got a large area to dig? If so it might be wise to hire a mini digger to save you several days of 'back death'. Also Grab hire works out at least half the price of skips but you do need to have a large amount of rubbish for them to take to make it worthwhile.

there is a large area, for for the way the garden is there isnt actually much that would have to be removed. few hours per night after work for a week should have it all in a pile near the gate then take a few hours to put into the skip once it arrives

andy said:
'100mm compacted granular sub-base'
I'm has 2 tonnes of MOT Type 1 Roadstone delivered by skip today cost £25.82 per tonne.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back