Blocked Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fireplace in our bedroom was blocked off with a piece of hardboard, i have opened it up and taken out all the rubble and now want to build a recess in to it.

Is cement particle board a suitable material to close it up with (vented of course) bearing in mind that at some point in the future we want to use the fire in the room downstairs which shares the chimney breast?

Sponsored Links
it might share the chimney breast but it doesnt share anything else, if it did smoke would fill the upstairs when the downstirs fire is lit.

i used to think your way too though.

I thought anything used to block it had to be fireproof, in case hot embers fell back down the chimney from the top.

I am of course assuming the flues join together further up the breast and don't remain independent all the way to the top. Are you saying this is unlikely to be the case?

Sponsored Links
So does that mean i'll be ok using plasterboard to block the hole?

yep, so long as the rain doesnt get it, platerboard is fire proof anyway

Thanks a lot for the sanity check! That's got make my life much easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back