Blocked Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tried to pry one corner with a small pry bar and there was some movement but was worried about cracking the tiles so stopped.

Try the other end....................to get this up, a few tiles might have to be broken.

Andy

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Or is there another manhole further up/down from that one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I refer to the water company, will I still need to ensure access to the inspection chamber beforehand?

Have attached a picture of the handles to my last reply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would suggest that is not a one man job lifting it. Not for a DIYer anyway.

Is it really that heavy?

Can you link to a picture of one so I can see what I am dealing with or advise what exactly they are called so I can look for a picture please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
will I still need to ensure access to the inspection chamber beforehand?

No that is there problem, just ensure that you drive home the point that it is a shared sewer, that is paramount ! and that M/Hole is the only access to it !!!

As for accessing your M/Hole, will probably mean loads of scraping and chiseling out small bits of grout

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it really that heavy?

Can you link to a picture of one so I can see what I am dealing with or advise what exactly they are called so I can look for a picture please.
Can be darn heavy and deep like 3-4" deep, others far less so

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've lifted similar with block paviours inset, they're heavy but liftable. If it's pinching, then you could be trying to lift the frame and half the surrounding floor with it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it one of those covers which is screwed down into the frame beneath? Look at the holes either side of the handles an see if there are large slotted screws in there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Update: Off the back of this thread, the plan was to go at getting the inspection chamber open over the previous weekend.

However, at some point during Saturday, the toilet is back to normal and has been, touchwood, that way ever since.

Seems to suggest that it is a shared shewer and that perhaps it was actually blocked at some other point (neighbours?) along its length and has now been cleared.

Unless there is another explanation.

Anyway, appreciate the info from posters which may come in handy in the future.

Sponsored Links