Blocking up wall vents in Edwardian house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an Edwardian terraced house, and in the back bedroom there are two cast iron vents at eye level, in the outside wall. We have put plastic covers over them (the ones that slide open/closed), but there is such a draft coming through. Can we block the vents up with some gap filler, or will that cause problems?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your very detailed and helpful answer.

I realise that they were originally put there for a reason - 100 years ago they had no central heating etc. But we live in a different age now and I could do without two gaping holes in the wall. What problems is it likely to cause if we block them up?

vents were not place 100 years ago to help 'remove' the smoke from fires, to but give moisture etc a way out so that it didn't/doesn't stay in your house and soak in walls, floors etc.
Breezer is right: vents are there for a reason, modern central heating yes or no.
Blocking them up will cause excess air humidity and normal modern day living moisture (cooking, washing, dish-washer etc) to stay in your house if you don't have other vents to remove the extra moist.

Sponsored Links
but you are right we do live in a differnt age...........sealed boxes

there is a reg i cant quote it (not my thing) about vents in rooms with gas appliances.

no vents and seled boxes (houses we call them) means as no ventilation you get damp ocuring

just going to find a post

edited, as most people live in houses, not hoses as i first typed :oops:

no you didnt, i was looking for a specific post, although what you say is also true

LizzyG although it is regarding a loft, this post is a good example of what can happen with no / wrong size vents

There are around 20 million homes in the UK without wall vents. If you block yours up well that will make 20,000,002.

In other words - nothing will happen.

Thanks for the replies.

There is no gas appliance in the room, it is just a normal bedroom.

I didn't mean the vents were to let the smoke out, but that in the old days with no central heating there would have been more moisture in the air as no central heating to drive the moisture out.

We spoke to a couple of our neighbours earlier, and both said they had blocked those vents up in their own houses donkeys years ago, with no ill effects whatsoever.

So we have blocked them up and no longer have arctic winds blowing down our stairs - result!

Probably nothing untoward will happen at all. Especially if you have draughty sash windows and a fireplace in the room. Even in the most modern house i don't think anyone claims that anyone has used up all the oxygen and pegged out from suffocation. If you have a gas fire or appliance that burns from air inside the house they might be there to let air in, but if you have a modern condensing boiler that's not the case.

LizzyG said:

I didn't mean the vents were to let the smoke out, but that in the old days with no central heating there would have been more moisture in the air as no central heating to drive the moisture out

In the old days with no central heating there would have been LESS moisture in the air. Ventilation is needed just as much nowadays, if not more, to ensure that as the moist air moves from warm to cooler areas, the moisture will be removed without causing condensation. If you get mould growing on the walls it is because of condensation, and it is a SERIOUS health hazard. You don't have to block the vents completely.

i had 4 bedrooms vented and after I blocked the first one I won £22,000 pounds,after I blocked the second one I won a holiday in Barbados,after I blocked the third one I won a new car,after the fourth one my wife left me, I cant wait to block up the kitchen one

oilman said:
LizzyG said:

I didn't mean the vents were to let the smoke out, but that in the old days with no central heating there would have been more moisture in the air as no central heating to drive the moisture out

In the old days with no central heating there would have been LESS moisture in the air. Ventilation is needed just as much nowadays, if not more, to ensure that as the moist air moves from warm to cooler areas, the moisture will be removed without causing condensation. If you get mould growing on the walls it is because of condensation, and it is a SERIOUS health hazard. You don't have to block the vents completely.

I've never had vents in any house I've lived in (bedroom vents) and I can't remember seeing any in any house I've worked on. They didn't have mould.

Has your house got vents or does it have mould?

What a stupid question. I said if you have mould it is caused by condensation. :rolleyes:

LizzyG said:
So we have blocked them up and no longer have arctic winds blowing down our stairs - result!
Might be too late now, was going to suggest using open/shut mesh cover as when is needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back