blowing bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i just installed a four way switch..it controls a blue light of 50 watts perfectly. but i put in a regular bulb or a fluorescent for which i designed this switch, it blows the lightbulb immediately!!!

i have double checked the wiring many times and the controls work perfectly (for the blue light).

any help is appreciated...

========================================
topic moved as poster is in Canada

Sponsored Links
Isn't blue light something they used in the 60's where you can write stuff that is only visable using blue light. Thinking of the film gone in 60 seconds.

Or am I being thick here

Sponsored Links
you are probably thinking of black light, which is an ultra violet light.

the bit that worries me is
disfasia said:
the controls work perfectly

uh, i meant just that: a blue light (not a red, not a green, and not a black). these are simple 40watt lights with colors on them. and somehow they blow.

now i went out and bought new sockets and installed it--the lights are fine, but the circuit tester i have says that the positive and neutral wires are reversed. They are not. Might the tester be saying this because it is a four way connection (three switches controlling one element)???

now you are saying sockets and posative and neutral, you are confusing us all. (your terminology is wrong)

how about you take a couple of pictures and post them. To see how see forum information

nothing confusing here. the reader says that the positive (aka,the hot wire) and neutral are inversed--but they are not. is this reading do to the fact that it is a four way connection? if you are confused, don't respond.

i just need to know why the circuit reader would say that the positive and neutral wires are inversed when they are not?

Is this a "socket tester" you mean, with 3 or 4 neons that light up? If so, it will not be wrong.

If you can lay your hands on a digital camera, post some pics. Perhaps we've imagining your build incorrectly.

disfasia said:
nothing confusing here. the reader says that the positive and negative are inversed--but they are not. is this reading do to the fact that it is a four way connection? if you are confused, don't respond. i just need to know why the circuit reader would say that the positive and neutral wires are inversed when they are not?

Its your terminology that is wrong :!:

its live (orphase) and neutral NOT posative and negative

and what is a "circuit reader" :?: :!:

it makes sense to you because you wrote it

yes, the socket tester has three lights. but i am testing a socket for which there is four-way wiring... so would this be the reason for the reading? since putting in the new socket (the old one might have been corroded) things work perfectly--except for the reading.

why is this?

disfasia said:
socket for which there is four-way wiring...
:?:

but you initaly said

disfasia said:
i just installed a four way switch

and

disfasia said:
for which i designed this switch

Please make your mind up.

I really am trying to help, but one minute you say one thing then you say another.

why dont you take a picture and post it, information on this is in forum information

yes, i installed a four way system: three switches one light. that's all. i have the wires to the light linked to an outlet to test my lights before i blow another fluorescent.

power box: 14/2 to first switch
first to second and second to third switch: 14/3 (the 1st and 3rd are 3way switches, the 2nd a four-way).
3rd switch to socket: 14/2

i have checked and rechecked the wiring... I wasn't until i installed a new socket yesterday that the bulbs stop blowing out. but the socket reader still says the positive and neutral are reversed...

??
any help you might lend me would be great.

best

disfasia

Hello again... didn't you post a while back about some a fluorescent lamp rig for a plantation in your loft?

Sponsored Links
Back