blown bulb in ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a candle bulb has blown in my 5 light chandelier, but it seems to have fused itself inside the lamp'holder'.
i twisted it until the bulb actually broke off, and now im still left with the metal base stuck inside!
will an electrician be bothered to fix such a thing?

:oops: cheers!

Sponsored Links
pdcelec said:
For the right price, yes.

But then again you could do it yourself with a pair of long nosed pliers. Be SURE to turn the circuit off first.

Before anyone queries, in view of the question i think this is the safest advice. :D

Use the pliers in reverse - close the pliers, put them inside the broken bulb, open the pliers and hold tightly open, push down lightly and turn to release.

A spark will do this for you, but will no doubt charge you an hours rate, or atleast a half hour, plus travel if it is out of his/her way!

Sponsored Links
thanks folks!
I shall give it another go with the pliers this time.
cheers! :p

if the stem is still intact you can often use this to remove a bulb.

whatever you do turn off the mcb or pull the fuse first. I wouldn't trust lightswitches for isolation for a number of reasons (they probablly don't have the required contact seperation, they could be switching the neutral if the wiring is badly done, they could be upside down or part of a two way system etc)

use a carrot to remove it. saves cuttin your hands and sometimes works better than pliers

andy said:
use a carrot to remove it. saves cuttin your hands and sometimes works better than pliers
i never thought of that but it is a spiffing idea! well done andy! The guy who thought that up deserves a prize! ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back