Board Finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Always use Multi finish on Plasterboard ,does anyone use Board finish is so whats it like.

Sponsored Links
Hey Brist,

I usually use Multi too although I have used board finish before. It seemed to go off quicker. Also, thinking back on it, the last ceiling I did with board finish was absolutely perfect. No trowel marks, no little blemishes, nothing. Having said that, it was only 2.4m x 3.6m so wasn't exactly a challenge.

I usually stick with multi though, especially on anything bigger because I don't want to be getting back to the start to find it's gone off too fast! I hate having to fight with it to bring it back.

No work on today? Me neither. Supposed to be doing some stuff in my own house but really can't be bothered. Have to snap to it soon though or the missus will do her nut when she gets back from work!

Regards

Fred

To be honest Fred ive now more work than i can cope with ,have a few niff naff jobs this week then next 2 weeks have a big job and because of this im starting to loose work as builders are ringing after being let down by plasterers, wanting work done now because they are on stop. Two weeks ago i had no work. :confused:

Blimey! Nice one. Well, nice one that you've got loads of work, not that your losing work. Shame you're not closer - I could've come and given you a hand. Still only getting three days work a week at the mo. Still, better than nothing and it will get better.

How did you get work from builders? I've tried all the firms round my way and they all take my cards but they all use plasterers already and none have called so far. Maybe they just haven't been let down yet.

Tried window / conservatory companies, sparks, plumbers etc. Nothing. Had three jobs from a local ad and everything else is word of mouth from there. Like I say, I'm getting some work but a bit more would be nice.

regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
i use mostly board finish. goes off quicker but is a little more predictable.

it reminds me of the old days, being made to use carlite wall finish on plasterboards. it would take ages to go off. you'd mess around with it for ages then all of a sudden, bam! it's gone off whilst your back was turned. :eek:

Fred it won't be long before you're turning work down ;)
By the way I always use multifinish, seem to buy bags and bags of the stuff so if any boards need skimming then thats what they get.

FredFlintstone said:
How did you get work from builders? I've tried all the firms round my way and they all take my cards but they all use plasterers already and none have called so far. Maybe they just haven't been let down yet.

Tried window / conservatory companies, sparks, plumbers etc. Nothing. Had three jobs from a local ad and everything else is word of mouth from there. Like I say, I'm getting some work but a bit more would be nice.

regards

Fred

acquire your own client base Fred, as this is where the snowball starts. forget other trades throwing you work they don't want, it's the private customers you want.

once one is satisfied, and particularly if they are gossipers, the word soon gets around.

be clean and tidy, be punctual, deliver a decent job and don't rip anybody off. the quickest way to a full diary.

Cheers Makitaman and Noseall,

I know I'll end up with a full diary in the not too distant future and your encouragement gratefully received. I would prefer all private work but figure that subbing out is also a good way to mak sure I'm getting work. The problem is that it'll pay less but also means I may have to put off private work if I'e got subbed stuff booked in.

Regards

Fred

FredFlintstone said:
I would prefer all private work but figure that subbing out is also a good way to mak sure I'm getting work. The problem is that it'll pay less but also means I may have to put off private work if I'e got subbed stuff booked in.

Regards

Fred

Fred; this is one of the main reasons why Joe public finds it difficult to get a decent plasterer. Either the guy has only recently started (but it doesn’t mean he’s no good!) or he’s only interested in ripping off those that don’t have a clue! The money may be less but once subs are your main income, you’ve graduated as a tradesman &, aside another crash, you will never be short of regular work.

Have you used the "Find a tradesman " here on Diynot :idea: gotta be THE most cost effective advertising ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back