Boarding Loft/Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a loft which has already been boarded.
I want to cover the inside of the roof with something like plasterboard so that I get a nice finished looking smooth room.

The floors are already insulated and covered using floorboards.
Can anyone advise on how to board the sloping roof. I have 2x4 roof joists/frames.

Do I need to insulate or simply plasterboard up leaving a gap between the plasterboard and the felt like material under the tiles of the roof.

Sponsored Links
Storage of old family rubbish - old clothes/relics and general things you don't need day to day but once in a blue moon.

I know I could leave it as, however I just wondered whether it would be worth doing it to stop the drafts.

D

Seems to me that you will be going to a lot of expense to stop a bit of draught. At the end of the day the roof space needs to be ventilated. If you are only storing items in there and not using it for habitation, why not save yourself a bit of time and effort. :p

Sponsored Links
As nstreet said "the roof need to be well ventilation",so putting insulation in between roof rafters would give you condensation problem as you're making it warmer.You can get moisture vapour paper which you can staple onto the roof rafter.On my roof,I put up pegboard sheet which allow for ventilation.

Why not just pin hard board between the rafters. This is cheap and will make it look a lot neater.

Just a suggestion

Coggy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back