Boiler Advice from an Expert Please.........................

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm a Newbie here, I was searching the net for some info and came across you guys, perhaps you can help ???

My boiler is covered by British Gas Homecare, they came out today to inspect it as the hot water only works when the heating is on, it doesn't work if the heating is off, they checked it and said that the heat exchanger is scaled up and the boiler needs changing due to the fact that my insurance does not cover scale damage, does this sound right? The Engineer said that the gas and electrical components still look new (the boiler is only eight years old) and it's a shame to change it but the hard water has killed it.

Is it possible that this boiler is dead in such a short time? The radiators still get really hot and so does the water when they are on, the water doesn't heat up however when the radiators are off, it's crazy, the boiler hasn't reached anywhere near it's expected service, it's just a domestic combi running eight radiators!

Also the Engineer said if I fit a Hydroflow it may dissolve the scale in the heat exchanger saving my boiler, what's your view on this?

Cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
No expert, but I'd guess that's about 50% b0110cks.

1) What's the boiler!!!!
2) Are you in a hard water area?

Sponsored Links
Just had an ex-British Gas Engineer out, he said it's the divertor valve and the boiler isn't scaled up!

Called British Gas Homecare and they've cancelled my contract and won't come out to fix it as they insist it's scale damage!

Don't sound right to me, tell them you want a different engineer or tell them you want to make a complaint as a second opinion has diagnosed it as another fault, that will result in a lead engineer being called out. Don't let them flannel you, you cant have the contract cancelled due to scale unless it is the first visit and there is an existing fault in which case the boiler will be refused to come onto contract until the problem is rectified.

If HW flow does not make the boiler come on, your diverter's faulty. Scale wouldn't make it do that.

If HW flow on makes the boiler come on but the leftmost pipe under the boiler gets hot, the diverter isn't doing its job. It could be scale/general grot causing that.

All boilers the age of yours will have some scale, and many of their diverters may have worn so they don't work properly. Would be difficult to say it was only scale causing the problem.

Otoh , I can't see how anyone can say there's no scale in the boiler!

It should now be obvious that we all think that its likely to be a diverter valve fault.

Unfortunately, BG are so big that they can virtually do what they want.

One sideline of that is that you can still make a complaint to them and they will consider it.

However, to do that you will need a proper report by an engineer who is a member of the IDHEE or the IPHE etc. not "Anatol" with just a mobile telphone number.

Tony

Hi twincams.......I have some banging sounds develop in my boiler at diferent times. Not always consistent not always loud- and the heating and hot water work perfectly.

The reason I mention this is that we too have a BG contract. called them out and they diagnosed scale in the heat exchanger...........really clairvoyant I thought, as they didn't even remove the casing.

I know that heating engineers worth their salt, are able to diagnose problems with their eyes shut probably, but it doesn't fill you with much confidence, when the outcome of their statement = a recommendation for a new boiler!!

As I wasn't happy with the manner in which he diagnosed the suspected problem, which was then later followed up by a tel call from head office asking if i wanted a quotation for a new boiler etc, I requested a second engineer to call.

He started by calling me en route on his mobile and asking about the problem with the boiler which I explained etc. He then announced that he had already spoken with the previous engineer that had called and, diagnosed the same problem over the phone and the recommendation for a new boiler at around £2000 plus.

I only outline these points, as I think it shows (as with other thread comments), that the chances of getting an honest second opinion are probably zilch! Needless to say that I am attempting to remedy the prob by using some Fernox products first. on the recommenation of skilled individuals on this web site.

Moreover, if that doesn't work, then I will be getting a free quotation from another corgi company Other then BG.

By the way I was informed that they are on a rider commission for sales that come off from their recommendations !!

So I think we can fairly judge where, for some of them, their motivation might lie - and its not with wanting to use their skills, to at least attempt a remedy under the contract but to sell a new boiler.

It seems from yours, mine and the experiences of many others, that the BG contract is not worth a jot when it comes to a major component - as their only recommendation is to make the boiler sound obsolete....I wonder why !!

Good luck anyway and all the best..............Pete

Most people are very happy with the BG service.

Occasionally they still get it wrong, particularly with the newer people they are taking on.

I spoke a couple of days ago to another ex-electronics engineer who had joined BG but left after only two years to work on his own. He was very scathing of some of their new recruits who he said were retrained unemployed painters and decorators who still had no idea of how to use a multimeter.

I am hoping to meet him soon as he works in our local area and its nice to find someone competent for a change.

Tony

Hi Tony..............Your comments said it all really.......'retrained painters and decorators' - quickly retrained no doubt . No wonder they go for the easy option of trying to encourage people to purchase ne boilers, rather than using their brains / training and getting their hands dirty.

I agree with your observation that not all BG fitters are not all bad......In fact we have had a service contract on our boiler for about 8 years and I have to say that the earlier BG fitters were always very committed and did a thorough annual servicing etc...........but not any more, now it appears to be more of lets get in and if it's working aok lets get out ASAP!

All the best ...............Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back