1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Boiler Condensate Drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Doug99, 1 Mar 2018.

1. Doug99

Doug99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With the cold weather freezing up the condensate drain outlets, is there any particular reason why they are installed to an external drain? Its only water so why not drain it into an existing sink/bath waste pipe.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Must admit my condensate drain is internal the actual outlet runs into an internal sink waste drainage system.

What ****es me off is the numptie installers who run a plastic condensate drain externally but make no attempts to insulate it? given present weather conditions UK wide, never mind what Scotland tends to endure yearly this practice is crazy? --- no insulation Etc, even worse, is when some house proud owner removes any applied Insulation , because, " The colour of the Insulation clashed with the paint colour on my window"??? Seriously I have had that discussion???

4. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Although the condensate is slightly acidic it can be plumbed internally to waste ,and is now probably the preferred method. When condensing boilers were first introduced ,not much thought was given to freezing up in the UK.

• Like Like x 2
  5. rochdalegas

rochdalegas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think most installers would rather use an internal drain option where practical it saves drilling through a wall for one. Not always possible though. Should be in 1 1/4" Outside minimum anything less is just lazy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I unblocked my neighbours one today, 1.5 m of 22mm horizontal pipe work. They have cover with BG but can not come out until next Wednesday.

Andy

7. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That your good deed for the day Andy ,or did you offer to match BG's price with a quicker service thrown In free :LOL:regards terry

• Like Like x 2
  8. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    shoddy installers.

9. DaveHerns

DaveHerns

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe he couldn't stand her moaning for a week.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    She's a good neighbour , she takes in all of my deliveries.

Andy

12. chrisw99

chrisw99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Had my first combi installed in December, and it's on the internal wall of my garage, so the condensate drain simply connects into the washing machine drain pipe.

13. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A possibly cautionary tail?

The neighbours upstairs have a Condensing boiler, the condensate drain has frozen, nothing unusual there then??

BUT??
    the The boiler is sited in an Un-Heated room, the drain is completely internal, no pipework exposed to the somewhat stiff breeze at -4C at present.

Worth considering how to avoid the above? especially in say a Garage??

Ken.

14. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pipework/equipment can freeze anywhere if it gets cold enough, being inside is no guarantee. I remember in my apprentice days, a bungalow managed by a trust my Dad was involved with was left empty, pending a new tenant, so Dad went in and drained the pipework and heating system.

A Decorator was employed to give the place a lick of paint, he turned the water on (he claimed briefly) to wash his brushes. We were in there a week later fitting a new boiler as it had frozen and was wrecked....

15. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fortunately, we do not get this type of low temperatures across the entire UK too often.

Could be that in unheated areas thought should be given the installing trace heating wrapped around the Condensate pipework the trace heating element controlled by a stat set to say + 5C ??

16. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It can do no harm, provided it is checked and maintained. (No good waiting until its -4 outside and finding the trace heating isn't working!) It is fitted a lot on emergency showers, where chemicals are present, to ensure the shower will function at all times in the event of a chemical spill.

17. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local