Boiler cuts if HW not on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question for the plumbers out there.

I have a standard gas fired CH system consisting of a Glowworm Ultimate 120 running 27 rads (yes 27), a Digistat RF room stat and a Danfoss controller with two seperate valves. The system was a little lethargic when I moved in so I powerflushed the system which helped a little to remove some sludge.

Anyway, having fiddled around and replaced the pump for a 6m unit (instead of th 5m unit fitted) the boiler kept cutting out when the CH fired up. For months I scratched my head, tried everything. Then by chance I found that this only occurred when the HW was OFF when the CH was ON. What I think was happening was that there is no circuit for the CH water to cool down and it was just circulating round a small circuit through the boiler.

By chance I had noted the settings that the previous owner had used and they never had the CH without the HW. I have now reverted to this and the system has been fine for over a year.

My question is - Is this a normal configuration? I thought it was usual to have one rad (usually in the bathroom) as a cooling circuit. I believe there is another configuration that is used now.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back