Boiler Kettling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler makes a hissing sound similar to that of an electric kettle, is this what is referred to as kettling and how can this be cured/minimized.

i have a vented system with a f/e tank in the loft, i have recently replaced a zone control valve and am in the process of bleeding air out of the system - the pump gurgles and churns every now and then, and in particular when the hot water is first turned on

The HW circuit was drained then filled after replacing the valve, no chemicals were replaced - should there be a fernox protector in there? would a lack of this chemical be related to the kettling/boiling noise due to there just being plain water boiling in there as opposed to a chemical mix with a much higher boiling point? The whole thing started after refilling the system.

Am in the process of investigating the possibility of air leaking into the system via expansion pipe, but i am unsure of the cause of the kettling/boiling sounds

Any help would be mostly welcome - thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
Jerry1 said:
My boiler makes a hissing sound similar to that of an electric kettle, is this what is referred to as kettling and how can this be cured/minimized.
Yes, and you can reduce it by descaling the boiler.

Jerry1 said:
i have a vented system with a f/e tank in the loft, i have recently replaced a zone control valve and am in the process of bleeding air out of the system - the pump gurgles and churns every now and then, and in particular when the hot water is first turned on.
Are you finding that you have to keep venting? Is so, then I would suspect either air being pulled in, or corrosion in the rads.

Jerry1 said:
The HW circuit was drained then filled after replacing the valve, no chemicals were replaced - should there be a fernox protector in there?
Yes - Fernox MB-1 or an equivalent product.

Jerry1 said:
...would a lack of this chemical be related to the kettling/boiling noise due to there just being plain water boiling in there as opposed to a chemical mix with a much higher boiling point?
Unlikely.

Jerry1 said:
The whole thing started after refilling the system.

Am in the process of investigating the possibility of air leaking into the system via expansion pipe, but i am unsure of the cause of the kettling/boiling sounds

Any help would be mostly welcome - thanks :confused:
I still think it's scale.

I've just descaled my boiler. Symptoms very similar to yours. I used Fernox DS-40, but isolated all the radiators to minimise leak risk. Ran the Ds-40 for 24 hrs (using plenty of hot water to keep tghe system in use) Once neutralised, and fully flushed, I added Sentinal X-100 and X-200 which I'll leave in. All the noise has dissappeared, and the bolier is not tripping like it did.

Thanks for all the help - have added a descaler to the system, ran it for 24 hours drained it and added a protector.
noise has disappeared - problem solved
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for letting us know - it's always good to get feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back