Boiler pilot light keeps going out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glowworm boiler whose pilot light keeps going out and I keep having to re-light it manually with a match. The ignition buttom doesn't seem to cause a spark either. The gas supply is fine (my stove works fine), but after about 40 minutes, the pilot goes out. Can anyone please help?

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer but it sounds like the pilot light is partially blocked

breezer said:
i am not a plumber or heating engineer but it sounds like the pilot light is partially blocked

I guess you would have had this fixed by now but..
(i am also not a plumber or heating engineer)

if the pilot flame looks strong after relighting it this may be ok, if its weak there could be a blockage as breezer suggests, there is usually a thermocouple device that enters part of the pilot flame that keeps the pilot gas feed flowing, if this is faulty that could be the problem.

if there is no spark when depressing the igniter this could be faulty these dont last forever, sometimes the wire from the igniter can be trapped
against the casing and becomes earthed so not allowing a spark to occur
at the spark electrode.

posible causes
1.dirty pilot symptom yellow flame (lower temperature soot on thermocouple)
2. worn thermocouple symptom blueflame will not hold
3. faulty gas valve symptom as above more expensive to fix
4. faulty case seal goes out on windy day
5. vitiation lack of air, sooting, (boiler needs servicing gas boilers shoudn't ever soot).
6. lose t\c connection on gas valve
7. some boilers have a over heat swich in the t\c cuircut it may have tripped. why? maybe the pump or the thermostat etc etc

Sponsored Links
Dear Guest,
I just read you message now. i got exact same problem as yours (same boiler, i.e. Glowworm) and i would like to ask have you found the solution yet, if yes, please give me a reply.
thanks in advance!

p.s: original message from Guest:

I have a Glowworm boiler whose pilot light keeps going out and I keep having to re-light it manually with a match. The ignition buttom doesn't seem to cause a spark either. The gas supply is fine (my stove works fine), but after about 40 minutes, the pilot goes out. Can anyone please help?

bonnie8, i suggest you re post in the plumbing section, origonal post was in january and this section is closing soon

I have the same problem with my boiler. It's a glowworm Fuel Saver MK II.

Have either of you managed to get your problems fixed? British Gas have attempted many things without success.

Not sure if this will help, but I have a glowworm compact 80e. I had a new PCB board replaced and it seems that the pots on the board were set to maximum at the facory. Boiler was getting up to temperature, then getting too hot becasue of the settings and shutting itself down.

A simple sight turn of the pot cured the fault.

Hi, hope this helps, its either the thermocouple is faulty or there is to much gas pressure is to high at the pilot which is cause the flame to lift which then cools the thermocouple which in return cuts the gas off because it will only work when there is heat on it, so by you light it with a match your heating the thermocouple which is fooling it and then letting gas in which is why then it works for a while then goes out. And usually you have a 3amp fuse for the ignition which might have blown. but i really wouldn't keep lighting the boiler with a match. get a gas corgi operative out to inspect it. after all, he's had years of experience and wont blow up the house, which you might do if keep messing around with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back