Boiler programmer/clock lost display

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a powermax 140 boiler and for the 4th time the programmer/clock has died on me.

The boiler is out of warrenty now and this is the 4th clock i've had to have fitted in as many years so its becoming costly.

A plumber I know use to fit them for george wimpey and he says its a common problem. He reckons it is because the motor sits directly behind the clock so it is magnetically frying the chips.

There is a reset for the clocks which is to hold down the minus and enter button. The faulty clock actually powers up for about 2 seconds but quickly dies again.

-Has anyone else expirienced this problem wih any of the powermax range?

-Does anyone know or can suggest a solution to prevent this from happening again?

-Does any one have any other comment regarding this?

I have rang powermax and they claim not to know of the issue but they won't admit anything so not to admit blaim. I have the complaints department address and will be writing a letter backed up with reciepts of new clocks purchased and hopfully letters from plumbers who have seen the issue. If any one else has seen it please contact me. It would be handy to get letters from both customers and people in the trade, so to back up both mine and anyone else experiencing this issue.

Many thanks for anyones help

James

Sponsored Links
well i spoke to the plumber re: that. and apparently the way the boiler works it has to have the internal clock for the central heating to work as no way to bypass it. If the internal clock fails then central heating goes off.

Sponsored Links
I hate it too.

Thats why I don't want to just leave it. The typically british thing to do is to not make a fuss and find another solution but this time I am going to get this sorted. If there is a problem with these boilers then the manufacturer should own up and provide customers with a solution.

griff92 said:
It would be handy to get letters from both customers and people in the trade, so to back up both mine and anyone else experiencing this issue.

Yeah, good luck with that!

EliteHeat said:
griff92 said:
It would be handy to get letters from both customers and people in the trade, so to back up both mine and anyone else experiencing this issue.

Yeah, good luck with that!

lmao

try telling watchdog they luuuurve potteton

:)

The clock is made by horstmann, you could try writing to them. In my experience when the clock fails and needs replacing it is very likely to fail again yet there are loads which have been fine from day one. I am unsure as to wheather it is a failure in the newer programmers or a possible fault (ie spike) in the electrics to (in) the boiler.

Griff,

Did you ever get a solution to your problem?

My programmer has just gone as well. I was thinking about wiring in an alternative twin channel programmer - - presumably that's an easy job, but it won't fit neatly into the boiler front panel.

How much was a replacement Horstmann controller and where did you get it from ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back