Boiler replacement

Dru

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my 4th quote for replacing an Ideal Mexico boiler with a combi boiler. I have been told different things by each person so wanted impartial advice.

All our rads are very old but if we decide to just replace the boiler rather than the whole system (£ reasons) then we have been told by person a that:

a) we will need to have trv fitted to all but 1 rad and powerflush the system

And by person b that:

b) we do not need to have trv fitted as they are purely a comfort issue. Powerflushing is not good so they will chemically treat it to get rid of sludge.

Any advice on which person is right about the trv?

Also, will a combi boiler in a bedroom be too noisy?

Sponsored Links
A powerflush is the best way to clean your system most effeciently, chemical cleanses cannot compete with a powerflush machine operated correctly.

As for trv,s not too sure I would say if it just a boiler upgrade not reqd by the regs however someone else here will know for sure.
Eitherway I would recommend installing them for comfort and effeciency reasons.

Modern combis are pretty quiet however in a bedroom it may be more prominent

Pete

Personally, I find Fernox ds40 the best product for removing sludge from heating systems.

Can cause problems in old systems though, as it is very aggressive.

Regards

David

Sponsored Links
Well as far as the part L regulations go they have to provide you with best advice regarding the TRV's and while they cannot insist they have to advise.
The powerflush is a benchmark issue and while the installer may think they dont have to do it the boiler manufacturer will not cover any warrenty claim if the boiler packs up and the commisioning procedure has not been followed to the letter. This unfortuanlty included chemically clensing the system with a suitable machine, although you could possibly remove all the radiators one by one and flush them manually, this method will not clean the existing pipework.
Regards Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back