Boiler won't light (Ideal Icos)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ideal icos condensing boiler that will not light. I cannot see a spark from the ignition electrode(which I have replaced), what else could it be?

Sponsored Links
I was afraid it would be that! I expect thats going to cost me in the region of £250, is there any way i can test the PCB or is it 99% certain to be the PCB?

Thanks

condensing boilers are wonderful when they work and blo**y expensive when they dont wait awhile some of the other guys might know better
i now mostly do installs :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help kev.

Anymore help out there ?

fan running? pump running? how far does this beauty get if the condensate trap is blocked - can't remember. You have the manual?

Centeral heating switched to on,pump running.
Boiler attempts to start and fails. Can hear clicking/switching and fan noises as normal but observe no spark. Gas seems to be getting into the boiler as I can smell it.

Fault code comes up as flame fault. Installation and service guide states to check ignition electrode and gas valve.

Well I know what I'd do next but you're into corgi territory.
Did you (naughty naughty) change the electrode lead as well as the electrode? SOmetimes they break their insulation and spark to the case or somesuch.

The lead and the electrode come supplied as one piece.
Any ideas on what next ?
Used to be a plumber but still naughty I know :oops:

I take it there isn't an Ideal Icos expert out there then ;)

Can't find seem to find much out about them, are they any good ? (or am I answering my own question?)

installed quite a few never had any bother till today same fault i think if i can get a copy of the engineers report ill let you know what it says :D

Jeeshus H wossisname. You have gas coming out which you can smell, you don't see a spark. So it would appear pretty clear that the sparky bit is broke. Boilers on the whole don't let gas out until they intend having a go at lighting it. It would be highly irresponsible of course to put a match to the gas, even with a spanner on the gas cock so you could turn it off quick, but that would give an idea if the gas bit was working. Obviously nobody would ever dream of doing such a terrible awful heinous thing.

Well I replaced the sparky bit so it would seem to rule the electrode and wiring harness out.
I don't think I will attempt the match in the boiler trick though as I value the little hair I do have left :D

I have a hunch its the PCB but at £200+ it could prove costly if wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back