Boilers and water softeners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like soft water (softened with a unit that uses salt) but I hear that the salt ruins boilers aluminium heat exchangers. Since most boilers do have aluminium heat exchangers, I find it odd that the manufacturers (Permutit, Prismermetic, etc) do not mention this. As far as I can gather, only one boiler maker (Vaillant) actually has a cast iron heat exchanger anyway. Is this danger over-stated? Or would I be foolish to go for an ordinary boiler. I was thinking of a Worcester Bosch combi. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant have never had cast iron heat exchangers the newer ones are stainless steel. Others will come on and tell you why you cant put softened water through a boiler

Thanks, Namsag. So I'm wondering what the answer is for people who want softened water without ruining their boiler?

NickStone said:
Thanks, Namsag. So I'm wondering what the answer is for people who want softened water without ruining their boiler?

Softened water is ok in stainless steel heat exchangers but not in cast aluminium. If your boiler has a cast aluminium heat echanger then whenever you fill the system you will just have to put the softener on bypass to fill with hard water. Note most manufacturers warn of this in theri installation instructions.

Sponsored Links
I've just installed a Glow Worm 38cxi on a system with a water softener. The customer got Glow Worms assurance that it was OK to use. My T&C's exempted me from any liability.

Thanks, everyone. That is helpful. I think Worcester Bosch (my preferred make of boiler) might have stainless steel heat exchangers, too, so maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

kevplumb said:

Their old one was a Vokera, about 10 years old. The only reason for replacing it was cos their insurers refused to warrant it anymore because of its age.

I was dubious as well, so I had to protect myself against all liability. Previously I had asked different manufacturers about this. They did not seem to be unduly concerened about electronic softeners but their chief complaint was the effect of salt on copper components within the boiler.

Anyway, I dunno.

Worcester use aluminium not stainless st. Call them or see the instructions.

Chlorides are very bad for many stainless steels, so if any come out of a water softener (from the salt) it could be a mess, depending which st st the mfr uses.

Ooooh dear. Worcester no good, then. Well, maybe I'll check out Glow Worm. The only real reason I wanted Worcester was because of their reliability. (I had a Baxi once and it was no end of trouble.)

You should not fill any heating system (primary side) with softened water.

The inhibitors are formulated for use with mains water and the amount of limescale in the initial fill is insufficient to cause any damage. Any make-up connections (connections to F&E float valve or to a combi filling loop) should be made to the upstream/hard water side of the water softener. There should be a negligible make-up demand.

The PSA recommendations for large (i.e., district) heating systems used to recommend the use of de-ionized water + inhibitor for make-up.

There should not be any chlorides discharged from the softener into the water supply. The resin changes calcium carbonates into sodium carbonates until the resin is depleted. The salt (sodium chloride) used in ion exchange water softeners is used to regenerate the resin. On regenerating with salt, the sodium is absorbed by the resin and calcium chlorides are discharged into the drain.

I rather like the idea of filling with deionised water (I am in a very hard water area). But where do you buy 100 litres of it?

>>>There should not be any chlorides discharged from the softener into the water supply. The resin changes calcium carbonates into sodium carbonates until the resin is depleted. The salt (sodium chloride) used in ion exchange water softeners is used to regenerate the resin. On regenerating with salt, the sodium is absorbed by the resin and calcium chlorides are discharged into the drain.<<<

Thanks, onetap. It sounds as though you're saying that water softeners that use salt don't allow the salt to get through to the boiler anyway, so wouldn't cause any damage? In that case, I've obviously been misinformed along the way, and don't really need to worry. Perhaps some cheap softeners don't do this, but I'd always go for a reputable make like Permutit.

Aidensfield Garage ........sixpence per Corona bottle full ..take your own bottle :p

Fit a Vaillant, all their combis (except pro) guaranteed 5 years against DHW scale build up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back