23 Nov 2003
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I would like to attach a long, thick piece of wood to a 13m lomg, 1 metre high and 300mm wide garden wall. The wall is double skinned with concrete inbetween, so is very strong. This piece of wood is going to be the first joist for some decking.

I think I know what I need to attach the piece of wood, but I don't know what it is called so can't be sure. Can you help? I think it is a bolt which sticks out of the wall then I would spanner the wood onto these bolts with nuts. Am I right? What is it called? If I am wrong, what should I use?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
raw bolt or expansion bolt i think your after

although i think they must have another "search freindly" name!!!!
Sponsored Links
'Thrubolts' would be just the job for it

Drill some holes through the wood, offer it up, then drill the wall. Push the thrubolts into the holes and tap home. Do the nut up. Job done.
keyplayer said:
Hammer fixings?
Most hammer fixings are primarly designed to hold door and window frames in place where they are fixed through three of four sides of the frame - so they don't need a huge pull-out (load) rating. Rawlbolts are designed to anchor high loads so have a much higher pull-out rating and are therefore more suitable for a load-bearing application such as this.

I've seen the results where a DIYer tied in a wall plate for a roofed-over car port using very undersized frame fixings which didn't hold out too well in strong winds. Even though it took a few years the gusting winds that the house was subjected to eventually shook out the fixings and the roof dropped onto the car! Strangely I've never been tempted to use them that way since........ ;)

could always resin anchor in some good old threaded rod. that way you'll only have to drill holes the size of the stud. m10 at a guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links