Bottled water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bottled water.

It can take years, hundreds, thousands even millions to perculate thru the limestone.

They bottle it and give it a 5 year best before date.

Why?

Have they caught it just in time?

Sponsored Links
And yet so many stupid people continue to buy the stuff. It astounds me.

Is it just a coincidence that "Evian" spelt backwards is "Naive"?

It is in some places more expensive per litre than petrol.

You never hear folk whining about the price of bottled water :LOL:

But you must sell rivers of the stuff, mate! Don't knock it...

Sponsored Links
Plastic from the bottle (PET bottles) can leach a chemical called Antimony into the water over prolonged periods of time, particularly if stored in sunlight/warm conditions. Long term toxic affects aren't known.

I know Coca-Cola screwed up over Bromate content in their Dessani "designer water" which was nothing more than Thames tap water that had been RO'd.

[edited to change "don't know what the chemical is" to "antimony"]

ebee said:
They bottle it and give it a 5 year best before date.

One word: VINEGAR...

Why does it need a best before date? Its already "off". Isn't that why they use it for pickling, beacuse it's a preservative...

ninebob said:
And yet so many stupid people continue to buy the stuff.
Is it "stupid" to buy a bottle of something that you like the taste of?

Is it also stupid to buy the white liquid that drips from underneath cows?

Is it also stupid to buy the sticky liquid that you can get out of a squeezed fruit?

Where does it all end? Is it stupid to buy things that grow in the ground and on trees? To buy flowers and give them to someone you want to please? To buy anything? To hire anything? To pay anyone to do anything? :rolleyes:

There will always be stupid people being conned into buying this stuff, the best thing to do is to stop buying it and then they will go out of business.

I repeat: if someone likes the taste of something that's sold in a bottle, then why is it "stupid" (sic.) for that person to buy a bottle of it?

Softus.

"NORMAL" people drink bottled water because it is easier to transport than tap water, easier to store and easier to buy in shops when out and about.

"STUPID" people drink bottled water to be fashionable, or because they don't trust tap water.

I drink bottled tap water. (Own bottle, filled from tap, kept in fridge).

All water tastes better chilled, and keeping it in a fridge allows the chlorine to dissipate without microbiological.bacterial build-up.

Commonwealth game sin Manchester you could actually buy bottled tap water... Sold precisely as that. UU said "our water is that good we can bottle it and sell it"

BoxBasher said:
"STUPID" people drink bottled water to be fashionable, or because they don't trust tap water.
I'm in two minds about this, I have a water filtration system which control Chlorine, Lead, Copper, Aluminium, Iron, Manganese, Pesticides & Herbicides. The problem is of not knowing what is going on and can we trust the water companies with our drinking water? I have tested my tap water with the testing strip this morning and the Chlorine level is reading quite high which is also harmful to our health. The water on our planet has also been recycled at least seven times!

I have no idea if the tap water can be harmful specially when Thames Water was fined very heavily sometime ago for allowing 5 million gallons of chemicals and raw sewage which polluted the water, householders was suffering from headaches, nausea & breathing difficulties.

The trouble is we don't know what we are eating or drinking

Take care with that infant !
[url=http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/bwater.html#3]BabyMilkAction[/url] said:
" 'Natural mineral water' is covered by less comprehensive regulations than tap water and may contain higher concentrations of solutes such as nitrate, sodium, fluoride and sulphate which might lead to solute overload if these waters are given to young infants."

The tap water that we drink every day contains only chloride and flouride - all minerals are removed during the treatment process. However, with mineral water the composition is unchanged - extra minerals are neither added nor removed from it.

In guidelines sent to health authorities (Ref.6), the Department of Health recommends:

"Check the label and avoid using water in bottles labelled 'natural mineral water' - they are not required to meet all the standards for tapwater and other bottled waters."

Rules for the content of tapwater are more stringent than those for bottled water. Tapwater is better for you. I live in an area where the water is soft (never get limescale) and I never tasted any bottled water that tastes as good as our tapwater.

Also, consider the environmental costs of bottling water and transporting it across the country or across a continent to your nearest shop. Consider that bottled water costs you 70 - 100 times as much as tapwater and that bottled water results in millions of empty bottles going to landfill.

I have a bottle on my desk and a bottle in the car that were both filled from the tap.

See here for interesting results to blind tastings.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article1129855.ece

Reading all these concerns about drinking tap water and bottled water really worries me.

I will just have to give up reading........

Chemicals in the levels found in tap water are not harmful to health. The companies that bottle water play on people's fear that tap water is bad for you due to chemicals.

Sponsored Links
Back