bouncy floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need advice on the following matter:
I have recently bought a house which was built in the mid 1930's. The bedroom floor on the ground floor is of the suspended type i.e. joists lying on a wall plate which is then supported by the outside wall. The room is square and measures 3metres 20 by 3 meters 20 approx.
The floor is bouncy. I got a builder in to look at it and i waspleased to hear there is no dry rot, the joists are in good condition. What is needed is a sleeper wall. The span seems to be too long and why a sleeper wall was not originally built in i do not know.
The joists are 5 inches by 2 inches.
I plan to do the following:
in the middle of the room lay a bed of mortar on the sollom(the sollom looks like a tar substance, someone called it bitumen). Then lay bricks on this mortar in the honeycomb fashion (to allow air flow under the floor). At most the wall will be 3 brick high. I then plan to lay a roll of damp proof sheet on top of the brick before using bits of slate fitted in snugly against the joists.
I would appreciate any advice or information on this matter,

regards

scott

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back