Boxing in a socket on ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This weekend I am attempting to build a fake chimney breast using a simple timber frame and plasterboard. On the wall where this will be build is a double socket that is not in use, and if I build this structure, it will no longer be possible to get access to the socket.

Is this okay in terms of regulations and things? Is it going to cause any problems? If the socket is never in use, nothing should go wrong, right? I read somewhere that junction boxes have to be accessable, but what about sockets?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
junction boxes, sockets, anything with screw terminals, 'cos screw terminals can work loose and need to be checked periodically.

So the socket must stay accessible, or you could remove it and join the cables with soldered or crimped joints and heat shrink sleeve it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back