boxing in twin wall flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Having just installed my woodburner, and used factory twin wall flue (Poujoulat T1), I'm a little unsure about one final detail. Is there a view on the following?
Stockists of metal chimneys parts say the twin wall flue MUST be boxed in (at recommended clearance) where it goes through upstairs rooms. The building regs don't explicitly say this.

I see the building regs read:
“ Where a chimney passes through a cupboard, storage space or roof space, providing a guard placed no closer to the outer wall of the chimney than the distance in (a) above “

- This is the regulation 50mm between the chimney and combustible materials.

Under “location and shielding of flues” it also reads:

” 4.20 Fluepipes and factory made chimneys should also be guarded if they could be at risk of damage or if they present a hazard to people that is not immediately apparent such as when they traverse intermediate floors out of sight of the appliance”.

My response to the first is that a bedroom is not a cupboard, storage space or roof space. My response to the second is that this twin wall seems to be running hot - but no hotter than (say) a radiator, and as such I'd not say that it presents a particular "hazard". In fact I'd sooner cool it a little (and so use the heat output) than box it in as suggested by my supplier.

So in a bedroom, I am considering providing a ventilated box top round the vented floor plate for hot air to escape, but leaving the metal flue exposed. This is contrary to recommendations from flue suppliers, but not explicitly against bulilding regs. Downside also is that someone could put a combustible item up against it, so the 50mm gap goes wrong. Are there any views on this?

Ta,
Justin

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back