brakes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
some of the brakes on my car are squeeky. it had to go in for a service on satday and they said both back brakes need adjusting. £40. so i told em id do it later...

monday night.... adjust both back brakes.... made no difference at all, its the front driver thats squeeky and the front left makes a weird noise when goin above 50

tuesday: take both front brakes apart. still plenty pads on them and they got cleaned up. both brakes still faulty

thursday: change both front brake pads: front driver is not squeeky.

and this is where it gets confusing...

front passenger is still making noise. not a squeek but sounds worse. hard to describe. so my dad goes racing about and nothin. then just as we give up, noise returns... got us both confused. later, he put the handbrake on whislt drivin. the noise sounded similar to the noise from the front wheel, but this time at the back. it also appears only the driver back handbrake is workin

so, any ideas on front passenger wheel? noise only happens when above 45-50 and doesnt happen all the time. also didnt go away straight away when the brake was pressed. it has new brake pads on and i cant see anything catchin against something it shouldnt

and another question: when back is off ground, back driver wheel cannot be turned with footbrake or handbrake on, but the other back wheel can be turned (fairly hard tho) with handbrake on. doesnt move with footbrake on. should i not be able to turn the wheels with any brakes on?

any help/advise appreciated

Sponsored Links
Use copper grease on the back of the pads when fitting

nstreet said:
Use copper grease on the back of the pads when fitting

have done. problem still there. my dad used to be a mechanic and its confusing him...

Sponsored Links
Wheel brg = wheel bearing.

Squeaking is normally caused by a build up of brake dust,guess you already checked this.
If one back wheel is turning with the handbrake on,normally the cable or mechanism is siezed (which is why the footbrake stops it)

Wheel bearings can be checked by jacking the wheel off the ground,hold wheel firmly at the top and bottom,and see if there is any play in it (can you feel it move/wobble?)

Hope this helps.

PowerTool said:
Wheel brg = wheel bearing.

Squeaking is normally caused by a build up of brake dust,guess you already checked this.
If one back wheel is turning with the handbrake on,normally the cable or mechanism is siezed (which is why the footbrake stops it)

Wheel bearings can be checked by jacking the wheel off the ground,hold wheel firmly at the top and bottom,and see if there is any play in it (can you feel it move/wobble?)

Hope this helps.

havent checked wheel bearing yet. i already cleared the buildup of brake dust etc. ill have another look at the handbrake when my dad is home. as for front wheel, the noise seems to have gone

May be a case of a ceased caliper maybe or a warped disc

Are the wheels all balanced correctly?

Any pulling from the brakes?

ashab02 said:
May be a case of a ceased caliper maybe or a warped disc

Are the wheels all balanced correctly?

Any pulling from the brakes?

check the date of thread.

Sponsored Links
Back