brand new pitched roof. construction advice appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am having a garage built at the moment. i am going for a pitched roof.
the garage is set back 100' from the road and only the front is visible to non-residents. the dimensions of the garage are 10' x 19'. single skin 4" blocks with double block pillars in the corners and in the centre of the long walls. i have turned down two ridiculous quotes and i have decided that i have the time and the tools to consruct the roof. i am interested in advice on wood sizes, best truss formation, amount of trusses. best (inexpensive) tiles.

i look forward to hearing your replies and give my appreciation in advance.

Sponsored Links
Jewsons do a good little Roofing Guide that explains how to measure up for trusses and also how to calculate quantities of tiles.
Free from their website.
Hope that helps.....

Take the drawing to a roof trusses company and they will work it out for you and it comes with the instruction. It's a lot cheaper this way and they will need to know the span measurement from wallplate to wallplate.
A lot of info here

They are many roof tiles to choose from, best to pop down to the roofing merchants. You can buy metal roof tiles effect sheeting which I have on my summerhouse. See this.

thanks for the info guys.
RKB - i will take a look in jewsons on my way home from work
masona - the metal tile option is appealing, are they noisy?
davelloyd - i think i agree with you on the self build cost wise. i very much doubt that anything will be stored in the rafters.
i will keep you all posted and thanks again

Sponsored Links
davelloyd said:
Are you sure trusses would be cheaper?
Depends,
If zagamuffinj is a carpenter then the question wouldn't be ask in the first place. A roof trusses would be much easier for a average diy'er to do and the instruction will passed by the building regulations without the worry of the building inspector breathing down your neck !
daveloyd said:
A quick tot up tells me I can by the 6 x 2 for 30 rafters and ceiling joists for £200. On a roof like this 11 trusses would be needed. Could these really be bought for as little as £18 each?
What I think you're forgetting is that the trusses is already made up which is labour saving but it doesn't stop there, if you're making your own roof section then you will need more timber than trusses frame because of the ridge plate, purlins, ceiling binders and collar beams, timber dog connector, bolt/nut , square and so on. You can easily fit a roof trusses in a morning which you can't if you're making it from scratch.
daveloyd said:
Also, I see so many garage roofs crammed with junk loaded on the trusses. The trusses are designed to carry just the weight of the roof. However, using 6x 2 would give a strong, safe and useful storage area in the roofspace.
6"x2" would be far too big and heavy, not neccesary in which the trusses are cleverly design by using thinner timber and can take a lot weight.
daveloyd said:
If you think my view is a little biased you could be right as I do a lot of cut roofing fo a living :)
Not at all and this is what the forums is all about but what you also got to remember is I will not give any advice on here how to make roof section up manually as it can be dangerous if not done correctly and this is why I suggested a trusses roof as this is a diy forum.

Cheaper ? I think so. I did my roof approx' 9 years old and the roof trusses including delivery for a 40' x 16' come to £568 and over £700 to make one myself and not made up plus the headache of working out all the angle etc.

Oh one more thing, welcome to the forum ! ;)

zagamuffinj said:
masona - the metal tile option is appealing, are they noisy?
They can be but depend how you fix them, you can buy them insulated. I fitted mine onto moisture resistance chipboard plus roofing felt and cannot hear the rain unless it's heavy.
summerhouse.txt

Where did davelloyd write or post? Is he referring to zagamuffin's roof or another roof?
Anyhow, what is the rise of the proposed roof, Zagamuffin and does it have any hips?
Thanks for the referral Masona.

--tom said:
Where did davelloyd write or post? Is he referring to zagamuffin's roof or another roof?
davelloyd wanted to know if it was cheaper to make the roof section manually instead of trusses, so I just gave my opinion.

Yes, I've noticed the post has gone and I think if you put this in :oops: it will be deleted by diynot. I've read it somewhere that if you wanted your post deleted then put this :oops: in.

I'm in the middle of building a similar garage to zagamuffinj's. Mine is 20' x 16'
I was pleasantly surprised at the price of the roof trusses. Just under £400. (inc. ladders).
This was from Trussform in Stafford. There was a place on the internet (Can't remember the name) which advertises five day delivery. They wanted double that price. :eek:

I'm pricing up felt and tiles now. Hopefully the job will be finished for Christmas.

good to see that someone else is actively building a roof. i had a recent quote for the build, including materials - ' to build a 19x10 roof with a pitch of 25* my charge would be ................£3300 + vat'

NO THANKS

he did also quote for a flat roof at the bargain basement price of £2060+vat

at the moment my garage is coming in under £3500 that includes front and side doors, all materials, removal of old footings, new foundations, all brick work, electrics, scaffold, purchase of a cement mixer AND a builder (retired) - i am labouring for him.

i am however having trouble getting prices for roof tiles. i have decided against the pressed metal sheeting mentioned earlier. i am after the cheapest basically. i will retro up grade later.

BTW my father in law is a draftsman and his neighboour is a chippy. hence the roof trusses coming in at £180 complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back