Brass Cross Dowels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Anyone know where to get brass cross dowel fixings from? Can't seem to find them anywhere, they all tend to be the standard cheapo jobbies. They're going to be used in some oak, so I don't want them to stain the wood as steel would tend to do (or cheaply galvanized/plated would).

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
whats wrong with wooden dowels or pegs bought or hand made!!!! :D

i have some ally star dowels if you only need say 30 or so :D

Hi,

Needs to come apart easily in the future as it's going to be a fairly substantial piece once built up (Not at all suited to the narrow staircase it'd have to go up/down).

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Depending on the style I'd tend to agree with Big-All: wedges and dowels. This was how a lot of Craftsman furniture was manufactured - the original KD flat pack, circa 1900! If you are making a style of furniture which is essentially modern and won't look right with wedges then I'd suggest either adding extra 3/4in square rectangles around the edges of tops, bases, etc and using brass countersunk screws to assemble (which is how a lot of pine furniture was traditionally built and some still is) or utilkising something like the metal KD biscuit joiners designed ny Knapp Verbinder in Austria and sold in the UK through Projoin in Dover, although you will need to buy a few hundred in a box. The metal they use is Marzak (zinc alloy) which I believe is relatively unaffected by oak.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back