BroadBand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of moving to BB.

Quote from http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/connections.asp
British (Telecom BT) Plug
The familiar British telephone plug used in over 30 countries around the world. Any analogue device that operates over a telephone line will be connected using this plug. You'll often find an RJ-11 plug on one end, and a BT plug on the other (RJ-11 to BT).
Will I find this if going Bt Yahoo and having their advertised 'freeby' kit ?
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/btyahoo/bb401_installation.html

What about the filters .. my phone has the 'BT plug' will this fit the filter ?

Will the filter plug into the standard BT socket ?

Edit .. Blown up pix of kit on BT site ... looks like Modem to filter RJ-11 both ends, filter to line standard 'BT plug' ... is that correct ? Does filter have RJ-11 and standard sockets ?

Sorry about the Q's hope you can see where I am coming from. ;)
Cheers P

Sponsored Links
Cheers Edward .... But it looks like the smaller RJ-11 plug on the BT kit
But I guess it will not matter to me, if the filter takes both BT plug and RJ's 11 or 45 ... just plug in the correct piece of kit.

ADSL Plug Splitter/Microfilter ... is this Plug Splitter similar to the BT filters ? At last a sensibly pictured piece of kit ... now yours truly can get an idea of the sockets.
BTW ... Looks like Tesco are in with a low cost service .. no monthly limits either !! ( BT having limits from Sept ... now ! ?? )

P

Bt supply two 'dangly wire' filters with their kit.
Ok .... So I fit a filter at the hall phone socket ... connect phone to this using the BT standard phone plug into socket on filter (Phone now filtered).
Fit 2nd filter to socket in study ... connect modem to this via the RJ-?? socket, thereby retaining the possibility of using dial-up from study in emergency.

Am I getting there ? :eek:

P

Sponsored Links
Yep, you get 2 filters, the "dangly" bit is an RJ45 into which you can plug your phone, RJ45, and your "modem" (bit of a misnomer this) connection RJ11

BT r a joke m8 they have capped your broadband to 1 gig a month :LOL: that is so not funny u might think 1 gig is a lot but wait till u need updates or patches for games etc 1 gig oh my

blueyonder from telewest now there is a service no cap and sweet easy usage

ask about the cap ok

1 gig is nothing i get that in 20 mins

Some of us are limited in our choice of broadband providers. WRT to BT, it depends on the package you choose, if you go for the 1Mb/s £26.99 a month package then you get 15Gb as standard and then you will be charge for additional data. BT have yet to work out the pricing of the additional data, so for the momment at least, it is unlimited.

Slogger said:
1 gig is nothing i get that in 20 mins

[pedant mode] Looking at the blueyonder website, their fastest connection available is 3mbit. Fast, I wouldn't mind one, but in 20 minutes that will download a mere 450 megabytes.

To download 1gb in 20 minutes you would need a 7mbps connection! :p [/pedant mode]

Problem with cable broadband is it pretty much ties you to cable TV, which in my opinion doesn't offer as good a service as Sky. Just from experience of having tried both at one time or other.

I have never tried Telewest as we have ntl: in our area, but those I know who have stuck with ntl are always complaining about various services going down. One day it's the TV, another broadband, another it will be everything.

My parents have 0.5mbps BT adsl, and they already get e-mails saying "you are using more than 15gb, we will start enforcing soon". I have Pipex, it's totally unlimited.

Anyway, for £52.99 a month I should hope 3mb Blueyonder is quick :LOL:

Slog Sed :-
' BT r a joke m8 they have capped your broadband to 1 gig a month that is so not funny u might think 1 gig is a lot but wait till u need updates or patches for games etc 1 gig oh my '

Blimey Slog you got inside information ??? Or someone byting yore bits ?

Quote BT :-
So that we can continue to offer our best possible price to customers, we have introduced a usage allowance of 15GB of data a month (512k product) or 30Gb of data a month (1Mb product). This is more than enough for the vast majority of our customers - for example, you can still download up to 3,000 music tracks every month.
The usage allowance will only be applied from early 2005.
---------
This 512k Product, with free set-up and equipment, will suffice, as a start, always start with the thin end of the wedge ;)

Edward's 'hurtful' one could be fun ... perhaps later with new PC just for the sheer devilment .... Bet there is more to this than meets the eye !! Jodrell bank or Goonhilly whatsit on the roof !!

P

So 45 Euros (or "errr-ohs" as our gallic associates say) per month... say £30 in real money, for the first 500mb. Plus 1.5 cents per extra megabyte, which equates to about £10 per extra GB. Although it runs up to 9.9c per meg, = about £60/GB!!!

The only reason I would have satellite internet would be for my private yacht, in which case at £50K per foot or whatever I wouldn't care on how much my broadband cost!!

Step forward, MMJ ;)

Yes, you do have to have and additional satellite dish, the service isn't provided by Astra. Also, you have to have a traditional dialup ISP in order to make the uplink requests, that is unless you wish to stump up for your own private satellite uplink. All in all not terribly viable.

BT Openworld do have a 2-way satellite internet service. The cost isn't extortionate, considering what you are getting, but it is still considerably more expensive than a wired solution.

Sponsored Links
Back