Broken/faulty TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago we had a radiator moved from one wall onto another, by some guy out of the local paper and since then the TRV has not worked, in that it just spins around and does not cool the radiator.
I know we should have got him back to correct it but we didn't.
I would like to know what is involved in replacing it with a new one, if needed, and can someone, me, with very good diy skills and a little plumbing knowledge do this job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
try tightening it at the base you should be able to screw it tighter

if not its booogered and needs replacing

I just had another look at the TRV and it seems that it doesn't just round and round, it does actually go up an down when turned, then comes to a stop as would be expected. So it looks like it is in need of replacing. What sort of job is this and could it be done by a non plumber?

Thanks

I've just been reading up on this on another forum, and it seems like a big job, ie draining the sytem, taking the radiator off and replacing the TRV.
err, no not yet I don't think.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could be simple - it might be that the limiter you are screwing down is never coming down far enough to interact with the valve's pin. Unscrew the top of the valve control from the valve and see if there is an adjustable screw or limiter that can be moved down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back