Broken Mortise Lock - Door Locked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lock in my back door (I think it's a mortise lock) is stuck, and the door is locked.The key only turns so far and then goes no further.

How can I get it unlocked or open the door to replace the lock?

I've tried WD40 on it overnight to see if it had seized up, but that made no difference. It was always a bit sticky (moved into the house about 3 months ago) but I wasn't aware that was a warning of failure.

I'd really rather not get a locksmith and/or joiner out due to the sheer cost of the work, if it's possible I can do it myself

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo chuckalicious long time no see :D :D :D

assiming your hinges are rolled over [like a mushroom]
grind file drill the top of the pins flat in the hinges to release them
knock the pin out with somthing smaller than the pin [so it dosnt jam]
work the door clear of the frame and providing the door can be slid about inch it should clear the lock ;)

you can of course re use the hinges by inserting the pins from the top with slight reduction in security[the chances of a theif noticing the pins have been ground off and having the tools to remove them :rolleyes: ]

just a thought.

I have had trobble openig peoples doors where the timber has moved / swollen etc, sometimes it is also the weight of the door that causes problems, can you lift / push /pull the door just enough to take weight off lock?

(i mean only a tiny bit by holding the handle, its worth a try)

Upvc or wooden door?

If it's the wooden door, check your key tooths are not bent or out of shape, the most common problem are the last tooth of the key slightly bent.

Sponsored Links
Well, I decided to use my own method (before these replies, REALLY wish I'd waited). I've just chipped out the wood around where the lock goes into the frame. Looking at the hinges just now I don't think I could have grind the pins out, but what a good idea.

Got the lock out and had a go at it with the key, deffo buggered. You had to push the lock back into the unlocked position, and then when you turned the key, nothing happened, so it was never going to work.

Am now going to go out and buy a new lock, and something to strengthen where I've had to remove some wood.

So thanks all, some good ideas, but I think (I hope) I should be okay now

Cheers

chuckalicious said:
Am now going to go out and buy a new lock,
Make sure the lock is insurance approved with BS3621 5 lever kitemark and read what your insurance minimum requirement is,very important otherwise the building insurance may not pay out etc.

Thanks Masona, it is built to that standard, but I'll check the insurance docs all the same to make sure it's all kosher. Good point

Sounds like the key has worn, and wasn't moving the bolt fully back leaving the bolt stump stuck in the lever gates. Easy to open though, and definately didn't require a lump taking out of your frame - common problem with union 3 lever locks.

Ensure it's a full boxed strike you fit to the frame, and fill the damage with woodfiller before srewing a reinforcing strip over the area. These are excellent products : http://www.kickstop.co.uk/.

HandyHands said:
Easy to open though, and definately didn't require a lump taking out of your frame - common problem with union 3 lever locks.

I am intrigued. How would you go about fixing that? Not sure if it's what you meant, but I had 3 different keys, all of which couldn't open the door, and when I did get the door open, none of the keys could properly operate the lock.

Even a correct key will not open the lock when this situation arises. It requires a manual retraction and reset of the bolt using special wires

sorry to bump an old thread but i've got a similar problem.
rear garage door, mortice lock (key is "simpler" than back door key), key to lock is just a shank and can't find another key.
extra problem is, this door has always been tight, very tight, so i feel confident that IF i could take the pins out of hinges, which i doubt as i'm a total klutz whenever i attempt any diy, i would not be able to get the door out in less pieces than a nursery school jigsaw puzzle.

in summary:
mortice locked;
no key;
access to both sides of door;
taking hinges off would probably mean new door, frame, possibly garage too.

is there any other way please?
what about these "special wires".

any help appreciated ...

A picture of the key hole and the door would assist in giving you advice.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

The hinges should be simple to do, you could use a grinder and take them off completely and replace after replacing the lock.Looks to be a decent gap at the lock, might be able to get a blade in there and cut off the lock bolt.

Moderator 11 said:
Please note rule 3 (NO Free advertising.) ... Spam

except for that famous Danish tinned meat product LOL

sorry mods, i could not resist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back